Some history of MacRumors

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by mac-convert, Dec 1, 2007.

1. mac-convert macrumors 6502a

mac-convert

After some of the discussion here about the mods, I became curious about the history behind this site, who was here first, who isn't here anymore, etc.

Then I remembered a site that would at least show what is looked like way back when - the way back machine, so to speak. I am sure that there are more than a few here that will remember this, but I wondering if anyone wants to comment on how macrumors got started, who started it, why, etc. Simply curious.

By the way, some of the graphics in the above link are broken for obvious reasons. Visit a complete index here.

2. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

3. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Here is one of the many threads about our history.

arn (member #1) founded MacRumors on February 24, 2000, as a place to consolidate interesting rumors and news about Apple.

He set up forums using PHPSlash, then starting our current forums, based on vBulletin, in 2001.

You can identify changes to the top posters over the years by looking back through my series of Top 50 Posters Extrapolated threads.

4. 748s macrumors 6502a

748s

A trip down memory lane................ until the names gocyrus and travis popped up:eek:

5. Xeem macrumors 6502a

Xeem

Very interesting to see how things have progressed. I got a chuckle out of all the pictures being used on the top to represent their categories, especially the Nintendo 64 controller (which I always hated).

6. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I wonder if we should update the big milestones into a timeline.

7. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

So how much moolah does arn make off his brainchild anyway?

8. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

The site earns enough to cover the primary cost: its servers, service, and bandwidth. This infrastructure needs regular upgrades over time, to handle increased capacity.

Then there's the cost of all that paper when arn prints the entire forum contents to save as a backup!

9. mac-convert thread starter macrumors 6502a

mac-convert

And all the trips to Starbucks! (Please, no flames!)

MacNut has a good idea there, but I have a hunch that this would end up being a fairly involved undertaking. It would be interesting to see how MR has grown and expanded over the years. Most of us aware that there were some all nighters recently getting some major upgrades done - and we do appreciate it.

10. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

What I was thinking would be a full archive of everything from its inception to now. Big milestones, famous members, everything anyone would ever want to know about MR.

Granted this would be a huge project and would take a lot of time to gather info.

11. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

One Meeeellion Dollars...

12. Sharewaredemon macrumors 68000

Sharewaredemon

I barely come into the forums anymore, and laughed when I saw chundles' post. It's good to see you are still around here.

13. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

"Flacking" oo how i miss iGary. Anyone in contact with him?
    and the lube :p

14. IDANNY macrumors 6502a

IDANNY

I was wondering how do you get the title retired? like jefhatfield
    has.

15. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

You request it from the Gods that you want to be listed as inactive. Long term members that want to move on can request the title.

16. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Isn't it when someone leaves the forum?

I too would be interested in a history of MR, and after finals, I'd be more than willing to help Doc (hint, hint :p).

17. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

I'm half interested in meeting arn...he's stayed relatively mysterious and anonymous except for his instances on national television. I also wonder what he does for a living, and what his coworkers think. arn must has a secret double life. It must be nice to know that you're a celebrity somewhere.

18. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

He was at MacWorld SF '07. Last I heard he was in medical school. Don't know where he finds the time.

19. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

I thought he was a doctor already?:confused:

20. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

He's got a superhero cape too, and it suits him far better than the skin tight spandex wonderwoman costume he got last christmas. :D

21. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

He might be. Honestly, I haven't really been paying attention. He never talks about himself though, so I figured I'd just respect his privacy.

22. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Yeah, he's very private in that regard, which I understand and respect.

Maybe when the 10th anniversary of MR comes up, we can do a special, "behind the scenes" story about the man behind the site. :p

23. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

I like the "keep 'em guessing" approach. I'm sure he finds these posts quite funny.

24. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I try really hard not to become all fanboyish, reaching in to stalker territory, but let's face it, sometimes curiosity does get the better of you. Especially if I hadn't met him in person. Then he'd be like some sort of riddle, wrapped in an enigma, wrapped in a cheese sandwich.