Some iBooks (not really books) that I would like

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by JulianL, Jun 27, 2010.

1. JulianL macrumors 65816

If I was a graphic designer I'd probably do this myself (I might still try) but what I would really like are some iBooks that I personally would be willing to pay a modest sum for if done well.

The first ones I would like is a 26 volume epic saga taking me on a thrilling journey from "A" to "Z". I don't want any words in any of these volumes (OK, copyright and author if you must) , all I care about is the cover art which might be something like a big bold red cover with a large "A", "B", "C" etc on it. What I'm thinking is that, as my library grows, I keep my books in author order so I could install the necessary letters and drag them to the appropriate places on my bookshelf like index tabs in a filing system.

The other book series that I would like would be genre bookmarks with books with covers like "Literature", "Science Fiction", "Science & Nature", "Poetry" etc. This way I could then group my bookshelf into genres and, for a few of the genres, use the "Epic travels from A to Z" series to further divide the genre books by author.

For me the above would make a really nice addition to being able to quickly browse my bookshelf without having to go into list mode (which is actually horrible when browsing by genre because the genre tagging in the iBook store is totally rubbish).

What do others think?

- Julian

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Can you not just use a single-age PDF with a large single letter on the one page?

3. JulianL thread starter macrumors 65816

Possibly, but doesn't iBooks 1.1 maintain two separate bookshelves, one for ePub and the other for PDF? All my books are commercially purchased ePub so single-page PDF books would show up all on their own in the PDF section I think and not be available to drag around on my ePub bookshelf.

I'm pretty sure that there are free ePub authoring tools available and come to think of it I don't really need any artistic skills, even Windows Paint can do text in lots of fonts and save in jpg, png, etc so I could author virtually empty ebooks and create the cover art with Paint. I just thought I'd throw the idea out here in case anyone has already done it or might like to use the idea themselves.

When I get a chance I will probably knock something up myself but with having just got my first ever iPhone, and my main desktop PC dying at almost the same time, I have a whole load of stuff to get sorted out first.

- Julian