Some icons on the dock became a question mark after TimeMachine migration

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by hajime, May 20, 2012.

1. hajime macrumors 68030

Hello, before sending my computer for repair, I backed up my computer using SuperDuper and TimeMachine. Then, I reformatted the drive and installed Snow Leopard.

Just got back my machine. I reformatted the drive and reinstalled Snow Leopard. At the end of the process, I saw an option to use Migration Assistant to get back my originally saved system. The process has completed. However, I saw several question marks on the dock. About half of them correspond to the ones I deleted just before I sent my computer for repairing. However, the remaining question marks correspond to programs that are still in the Application folder. How come they became a question mark? Is the following a proper way to fix the issue:

Step.1: Move the question marks to the trash.
    Step.2: Drag the icons again from the Application Folder to the dock

Thanks

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Typically it means either the program is no longer installed or the link is broken

Dragging the question mark off the dock removes it
    Dragging the app back to the dock will replace

3. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

Thanks. There is a question mark for App Store. Do you know where the program is stored? I cannot find it under Application. Thanks.

4. chown33 macrumors 604

The App Store wasn't introduced in Snow Leopard until somewhere around 10.6.6 or so. So if you don't see the App Store in /Applications, you should probably apply the 10.6.8 Combo updater.

5. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

Thanks. After I clicked Software Upgrade to update the system, the App Store icon automatically reappeared in the dock. This is strange.