Some ideas for ios 5.1 or 5

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ishopukisfake, Jun 8, 2011.

1. ishopukisfake macrumors regular

some ideas i have had for improving ios recently.

some suggestions for ios 5.1

the operating system is good, very clear and simple. However, maybe it is a little too simple now. Recent offerings from windows show good innovation in the addition of live widgets, this is something I would really like to see in ios.

I think slightly more sophisticated is needed now in ios. The same block tiles look a bit out dated now.
    I am thinking live widget panels taking up maybe a square of 4 regular block icons.
    Here you could have news updates, weather, twitter, micro web page and browser.

I would also like customisation of the regular icons. Pinch to resize icons - disable the grid to move icons around.

The option of a regular solid folder icon as in osx, with a passcode lock for private documents.

A big one, removal of home button. Many times I have tried to trouble tap on the ipad to bring up multitasking bar to slightly miss the second tap and go back to home screen! can be a little annoying, maybe my home button is a bit non responsive.
    However I would like to see a gesture to activate multitasking bar - a simple drag up from bottom would be perfect - as opposed to the drag down coming for updates.

return to home screen gesture also of course with the removal of physical home button, as seen on some developers seeds. Gesture? two finger pinch from wide apart to close together.

Another good idea - the ability to swipe to a new screen with an active web browser running - rather than having to open an app to browse!

Can't believe in the ios5 preview had the split keyboard on ipad - that was an idea I had a few months ago ! GMTA

Something I would like changed for ios5 - the keyboard clicks, they sound too tinny and could be given a more solid bass sound to sound more substantial

2. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

How would you do that one handed? I don't mind gestures as an additional option, but I wouldn't want to be forced to use them if it meant I couldn't easily use the phone in one hand...

3. ishopukisfake thread starter macrumors regular

good point for iphone - i was probably thinking ipad on that one.

hmmm -maybe this is why they removed gesture from the seed they published.

very tricky to do something unique with your thumb - maybe drawing a C shape, that could be quite intuitive.

4. ishopukisfake thread starter macrumors regular

One more thing!

Flash option!

Now flash are working to slime line their code ios could offer this as an option in settings. Flash on / off ?

That means you could turn it on for say 10 minutes to browse some video web pages, then turn it off again.

5. Aduntu macrumors 6502a

Aduntu

Beating a dead horse -- not gonna happen.

6. utwarreng macrumors 6502

utwarreng

I would like to see it where you can 'quick reply' to an SMS message from the new iOS5 notification bar, without having to go into the full blown app. In addition to this, being able to compose a new message from within any app would be great. Currently there is a jailbroken app that allows for both of these functions called Tlert.

Also, additional group SMS/email support is a must for furthering the iPhone as a serious business device. Many businesspeople have groups they commonly send emails or SMS. The current implementation of having to click the + button and go through the list every time is time-consuming and tedious. Once a user has picked the first person they want to email or SMS, they should be taken back to the email/SMS app. If they then push the + button to add more people, the list of users should have checkboxes next to their names (or a dropdown if they have multiple methods of contact, each with a checkbox). The user should then be able to select however many of these people they want.

There should also be a method for saving that group in their contact list, so that a group does not have to be re-created or found in the previously sent list of SMS/emails. This would also allow for easily adding/removing someone from that group as needed.