some images not loading in multiple browers on rMBP ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by munstre, Mar 2, 2013.

1. munstre macrumors newbie

Hi guys, I realize this is potentially more of a browser issue - but it's across multiple browsers (firefox, chrome, and safari) where some websites just aren't populating the images. This is a brand new rMBP, and the sites were previously working normally. I at first assumed it was the websites issue, but now am noticing this is specifically happening on my Macbook. I tested side by side with my girlfriends older macbook on the same router, and the websites are loading immediately on hers.

I noticed this first on digg.com, everything else loads but the images... on the bottom info bar it eventually says "waiting for static.digg.com". If I let the page sit for maybe 3 - 5 minutes the images do eventually appear...but of course that's not the most enjoyable option...

Is there anything I should check within the OS itself?

2. iMacFarlane macrumors 65816

iMacFarlane

Personally, I think there's something severely flawed with the current build of Safari and/or the core TCP/IP functionality in OS X. Safari and Firefox "stall" while loading web pages, or refuse to load at all. The problem is frequent, and utterly irritating.

I did the following after interwebs research:
    - Reset Safari
    - Rebooted
    - Emptied cache

Still happens. If the page hangs, I stop the page load, then reload. It usually then loads the page in the blink of an eye. Too weird. Definitely not "just work"-ing.

And, just like you described, even after the page loads, sometimes a great number of images refuse to load, and become little question mark icons. Hopefully some wizard/guru/shaman will help us out here on MacRumors.

3. munstre thread starter macrumors newbie

After trying all options I could think of and look-up (emptying cache, resetting all browsers, re-installing browsers) it appears that my problem was lying in my anti-virus settings. I have Avast, and I turned off the "web shield" setting... after doing so all of the problem websites have been loading perfectly in every browser. Something about the way those sites must aggregate information probably meant the antivirus program was having to scan each individual external website that was linked through.

Hopefully your problem will be as easily repaired as mine finally was?

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3rd party antivirus apps are not necessary to keep a Mac malware-free, as long as a user practices safe computing, as described in the following link. Read the What security steps should I take? section of the Mac Virus/Malware FAQ for tips on practicing safe computing.

For other web issues, if clearing the browser cache and cookies doesn't help, check to see what ad-blockers, plug-ins or extensions you may have installed that may be interfering with pages loading.

If you have a problem with entire pages not loading and you haven't already done so, try changing your DNS servers on your Mac and your router to OpenDNS servers. This will show you how: Why am I being redirected to other sites?