some innovation or imagination needed here

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by skiff, Mar 15, 2012.

1. skiff macrumors member

I'm an 89 old man who lives in an assisted living facility who is too cheap to pay for an Internet connection like normal people. Happily, our chief administrator wasn't too cheap to provide a wi-fi hot spot in our library located in our community for users. I love it not only because it's free, but that it works great. If you can imagine a wagon wheel with three spokes radiating from the hub, my apartment is at the end of the outer concrete block wing some 200 feet away.

What I need, if there is such a thing, is a device that can capture a signal 200 feet away and deliver it to the USB port on my Macbook which dances to the OS X 10.5.8 tune. If such a contrivance exists, I wont be too cheap to buy it. Surely some kid of fifty or sixty or even a juvenile of forty, knows about this stuff and is willing to share such knowledge with me.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

First, my hat's off to you, both for acquiring that many years (I can only hope to do the same!) and for staying interested/involved in technology! What you're looking for is a wireless network extender or repeater, which can join the existing WiFi network and extend its range. It would help to know what equipment is being used by the facility, as that has some bearing on what you need to buy. Also, I'm not sure what you mean by the USB port, as your MacBook has a wireless antenna built in, which has nothing to do with your USB port.

3. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

What about an Ethernet cable connected to an Airport Express? That might work, but I'm not sure... opinions anyone?

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

A 200-foot ethernet cable might not be too practical.

5. minifridge1138 macrumors 6502a

The airport express can only boost the wifi signal if it originates from an Apple Airport Base Station or Time Capsule.
    If it could boost the signal of any wifi, then it would work.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

But it can create a WiFi network if plugged in via ethernet, as suggested. It's just that in this case, the distance may present a problem for that approach.

7. InuNacho macrumors 65816

InuNacho

OP said USB so I'mma try and throw an idea out there.

If he's at the end of his building I can only assume he has access to a window. How about just grabbing a really long USB cable, hooking it up to a USB router thing and hang it out the window somehow.

8. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Maximum length of a USB cable is 5 metres - you can add repeaters but 200 feet would need quite a few repeaters !!

9. InuNacho macrumors 65816

InuNacho

I figured he meant 200 meters from the router or something, if it is he won't have to route something all the way there just part way.