Some insight on Apple Watch Sales

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by gdeputy, Jul 13, 2015.

1. gdeputy macrumors 6502a

gdeputy

Android Wear as an ENTIRE platform sold ~720,000 units in the ENTIRE fiscal 2014 year. (Worldwide)

Apple watch has allegedly shipped ~3.5 million units in 3 months (US ONLY), at a price of nearly DOUBLE the average android wear device.

Take it as you will.

The product didn't launch to insane sales, neither did the iPad 1 or iPhone 1. This isn't news really, early adopters buy the 1st gen.

2. bh85 macrumors regular

bh85

Talk about Android Wear fan base. But all of them will tell you Android Wear watches are better than Apple Watch. Yet, no one is buying them.

3. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

I only see Pebble watches now and then. Have yet to see anyone with an Android watch. Not even the original Samsung gear.

4. Esoom macrumors 6502

Esoom

Friends that use Android Wear seem to use them for about 2 weeks and give up.

5. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

So friends shouldn't let friends purchase Android Wear ? o_O

6. zeeyo987 macrumors regular

I could see myself using an android wear watch if I did a lot of driving since having google maps on your wrist is pretty awesome. I wish we had that.

7. Tmelon macrumors 6502a

I think that smartwatches as a whole are just a little bit ahead of their time. At the high price that Apple is selling the Watch, I think people are hesitant to be early adopters.

8. Bromeo macrumors regular

I tried Android Wear for several months in the form of a Moto 360. I was wearing it for both personal "let's try this" reasons, as well as for software development. My colleague with whom I work on Android apps opted for an LG watch. It only stayed on his wrist for about 3 weeks, but then he's just not a watch-wearer.

When my Apple Watch arrived, I moved the Moto 360 to my right wrist. That lasted about 3 days, and now the Moto 360 sits on its charging stand on my desk. Apple Watch simply blows it out of the water as far as I'm concerned.

I wouldn't put much faith in these third-party sales estimates, good or bad. However, I have seen more Apple Watches in the wild than I have seen Android/Tizen/Pebble watches combined.

9. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

Many buyers did I not even get their watch yet as until just recently you could not go into an Aplle store to even get one. I have no doubt that Apple will do fine with the watch. Apple main problem was a problem with supply and except for the SpaceBlack versions, that shortage is just about over.

With Christmas and OS2 with new features . . . I wish my company could do so badly!!!

10. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

I used Apple maps on my watch for the first time yesterday (normally I use the car with built in sat-nav, but didn't yesterday) and was very impressed with how well it worked - a subtle tap on the wrist and the next direction clearly displayed. It's still not google maps, but it's definitely a very useful feature :)

11. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

For the record I have a gear S and will be selling it.

12. TJone macrumors 6502a

I am thrilled with my Apple watch but I am a little surprised how few I see around New York City. Maybe 1 every other day. It's a great device but with an unpolished OS and restricted apps so far. That should all change in a few months.

13. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

We have no insight on sales because Tim Cook said Apple will not be disclosing them. Perhaps we'll get more color on the earnings call next week. Other than that it's all guesses and people pulling numbers out of their rear end.

14. Klaatu63 macrumors regular

Klaatu63

Be very interested on the Apple Watch return rate. I bought the watch and after two weeks returned the unit. I plan to re-purchase the version 2 unit. I am not sure that all of the problems that I encountered can be fixed with a software update.

15. gdeputy thread starter macrumors 6502a

gdeputy

Well, that's partially true, but statistically the pool is sizable, I wouldn't expect a HUGE change in the numbers we're seeing.

The issue is those numbers being viewed as bad.. Given the market and the price point, the numbers are quite stellar.