some insightful info from ATT rep I just called

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mslugx, Jun 17, 2010.

1. mslugx macrumors member

Hi everyone, i had a couple confusion about this whole iphone thing, so i called ATT to answers. I know they don't have really good CS, but this time i got some luck and actually clarify something for me, and want to share with you guys.

if anybody planning to get the iphone without contract on launch day, you can cancel it right after you activate it, and ATT will charge you 325 ETF plus how many days of usage. I read online somebody was saying it's 375 ETF plus a bill of whole month. If the rep is correct, then it will be a lot cheaper.

I guess you can open a line and cancel it, it will be still cheaper than if you get the iphone at no commitment price or if you have an account with ATT, you can open a new line and cancel it right away.

but i am wondering , when you order the iphone, it already has been bound to all the plan details, such as text message, and data plan. How are they going to know what kind of plan you have, if you activate it through itune without calling them as some people saying on the forum? If anybody can answer my question, i will be appreciated greatly. Thank you.

2. citron230 macrumors 6502a

citron230

But if you then have a cancelled line you will need to activate the iPhone on an active line with AT&T. Do you have an extra line? If so the activation process thru iTunes I thought started a new contract when you add iPhone data for the first time.

3. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

The CS rep was wrong. If you cancel your plan within 30 days of buying the phone, you will need to return the phone as well.

4. vizkiz macrumors 6502a

vizkiz

I thought if you canceled within 30 days, you had to return the phone.

5. fuzion macrumors 6502

There is most likely two barcodes on the iPhone box.. one indicating the sim, the other the IMEI for the device. Both of these are scanned into the system and are applied to the account on which the phone was purchased.. In store, or online, it will be tied to your account and thus whatever plans you have... Is that what you're asking?

6. arykmax macrumors regular

You don't have to return the phone if you cancel in the first 30 days but if you don't, they charge you the remainder of the full no commitment price.

7. mslugx thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, i am planning to swap it to a different line.
    So iTune is for people who is trying to activate a new line only, other people who is a secondary line in a family plan needs to call in to activate it? Am i correct?

the policy states: "You will be responsible for all applicable usage fees, prorated access charges, taxes, surcharges or other charges through the termination date. AT&T will refund your activation fee, if any, if service is terminated within 3 days of activation. If phone is returned within 30 days in like-new condition with all components, early termination fee will be waived. All other charges apply. Some dealers impose additional fees. "

that means i pay 325 to keep the phone? If i return it, i won't be paying the 325 right?

If it's tied to the account, then next time i try to activate the phone on a different plan, will they swap the plan details on the one number i will be activating?

Also, for example I order the phone for one number and cancel it, and pay ETF, can i still keep the number and use it for a regular phone with voice only to avoid other charges?

8. dontworry macrumors 6502

dontworry

THIS. They are going to charge you whatever it takes to get the full amount out of you for the phone. I'm pretty sure they have went over these T&Cs with a fine-toothed comb.

9. vizkiz macrumors 6502a

vizkiz

That's what it sounds like. But if you decide to keep the phone, you get charged the rest of the phone's unsubsidized price ($400) and the ETF.

10. mslugx thread starter macrumors member

are you serious? so what's the best way to get an iphone without signing the two year contract then?

11. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

Ebay or Craigslist.

12. jtp098 macrumors 6502a

in other words you end up paying the month of service say $50ish + 325 + 199(phone) + what ever the difference is between the sub amount and total which is what 200 more.... so what like $775 god people are crazy to buy this phone unlocked it's no where worth 775 to pay for a phone take a vacation :S

13. mslugx thread starter macrumors member

It will be wayyyy over priced. People on there is ruthless.

I am not trying to buy it, i am trying to buy one for my friend at the lowest price, without costing too much.

The ATT rep told me all i have to pay is 325 plus the days i used. that's totally false information, and she spent 5 minutes to pull out that info. It's like you going to mcdonald and order a big mac, but you got a fried rice at the end. at the end, they probablly won't admit they give you fried rice.

14. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

As bad as AT&T is sometimes, I think they have this whole issue of people trying to pull one over on them well thought out....and will get their money one way or another.

15. mslugx thread starter macrumors member

I just called ATT again, another rep told me, if i have 4 lines in ATT, i can order the iphone on one line and swap it to another line. If later on i want to cancel that line, then, all i have to pay is the ETF that's it. She said i don't have to return the phone. people were saying they will charge you ETF plus whatever its full price remaining if you don't return, the rep respond is "no", the ETF is all you have to pay.

16. dontworry macrumors 6502

dontworry

As long as you are on contract for two years I don't think they care what line it's on. They will get their money one way or another.

17. mslugx thread starter macrumors member

yeah, but i want to buy the phone and use it with another carrier. how can i do it at the lowest cost then?

18. dontworry macrumors 6502

dontworry

19. mslugx thread starter macrumors member

for the 599 it's not actually 599, but ATT requires you to create an account with them, which means you have to pay for the monthly. they won't allow you to get the phone and walk out the store.

20. dontworry macrumors 6502

dontworry

yea I think you could get the cheapest plan for 1 month and drop with no ETF. I'm just saying that this is the whole reason for the raised ETF fee.

21. robothero macrumors 6502

robothero

Bottom line: Don't try and cheat the system. Mobile companies (especially in the US) are extremely well versed in the ability to **** you over if you try.

I mean, I'm pretty sure the "I'll just sign up and then cancel right away!" is the first thing they thought of.

22. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

No committment phone is $400 more. $380 ($325+$40+$15) is not "a lot cheaper," and oh that's without activation fee. In the end, it's the same price.

And although people have promised iPhone 4 unlock, I won't believe it until I see it.

23. mslugx thread starter macrumors member

That's a no goal, it will drive the price up to 700 something more then.

I am not trying to cheat the system, but i am trying to get the phone at the lowest cost possible and at the same time not signing a contract with them.

what's this calculation for ? u mean getting the phone with ETF, ? if you add it up, still cheaper than the non-commitment price right?

is it possible to get non-commitment phone for family plan, and not activate it at the store, and call ATT to take out the data plan so it will be like a regular ATT family plan?

24. coelacanth macrumors 6502

Last year, although I didn't mean to do it, I beat the system.

Purchased the 3GS at Apple Store on the launch day with new line. Moved sim from my 3G with existing account to 3GS, went to AT&T store and canceled the new line next day.

Since the phone was purchased at Apple Store, AT&T store couldn't take the phone from me nor charge ETF because it was in 30 day window. I was totally OK to pay $175 then-ETF but they said there will be no charge. This was really a big hole in their system and I got away with fully subsidized 3GS without extending the contract nor ETF.

My coworker tried to do the same about 6 month later, but AT&T "closed" the hole so he got $175 charge but could keep the phone that he got at subsidized price.

I don't know the system now, but that's my story.

25. guidoverduci macrumors member

I'm still confused by this. Say I'm a brand new at&t customer and I decide to open a family plan with 5 lines, I can choose the cheapest family rate and data packages for all the lines. Then I can sell 4 of the phones and cancel 4 data packages and I would be left with a family account of 5 lines w/ 2 year contract but only 1 active line w/ data package... is this correct? And I wouldn't have to pay any ETF fees because the lines would still be on my account, they just wouldn't have iphones attached to them. Anyone?