Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drpellypo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 19, 2007
Northumberland, UK
Apologies if this is old news but I only found this out today.

O2 data services has been dire the last few days. The reason for this is that they have just about completed a nationwide upgrade rollout in conjunction with vodafone. If you try speed tests on 3G over the next day or so you'll notice a vast improvement in speed.

Secondly, part of the work was to lay the foundations for 4G. Almost all the infrastructure is there but it's turned off because there isn't a license available for it. However, apparently, the license will be offered to mobile when analogue tv gets turned off in the uk as it will utilise this frequency license.

And lastly o2 have made a technical commitment to blanket the uk with 3G so if you can make a phone call you will have 3G. I've been told there is a 12 month timescale on this.

Jeeves

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2008
UK
Sounds really interesting, do you have any sources or links for this info? :cool:

drpellypo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 19, 2007
Northumberland, UK
No, I cant credit it. It was a conversation I had with a technical guy inside o2. I don't think the info is particularly confidential but I'd hate to get the chap in trouble. I'll have a look round the web and see if there is any mention.

Re timescales - I did think 12 months was quick but he said that they are working in partnership with vodafone so have double he resources. Apparently they are both going to use the same kit and share the costs etc. All the old stuff is gradually being pulled out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.