Some interesting stuff in iOS Maps in Japan

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by Georgij, Mar 29, 2013.

1. Georgij macrumors regular

Some may have noticed it before I did. But it is only seen in Japan at the moment. Businesses have their own symbols. I think it is pretty neat, and I wish it will come to other countries too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. confucious macrumors 6502

You're probably the only person outside of the USA who uses Apple Maps which is why no one else has noticed.

3. wsc9005 macrumors regular

That's very nice, hopefully it's coming to the UK soon.

Almost every iPhone user I know of at my university uses Apple map, including myself. At least it's reliable in Glasgow and the UI is superb !

4. confucious macrumors 6502

I wonder what it is that Apple have against the English then? Coz it sure is crap in England.

5. wsc9005 macrumors regular

Haha, I'm using it in Blackpool today. Haven't encountered any trouble yet :p

6. confucious macrumors 6502

Maybe it's just the south of England then, I just had another look, the satellite view over the South of England has got a lot better.
    But in Map view looking at the South of England it shows Rottingdean but not Brighton!
    Searching for a village name just shows lots of businesses with the name of the village so you have to find the highest cluster to work out where the place is. I'm sure Google maps isn't perfect but it finds everywhere I've looked for and I can get Street view. Apple Maps has failed to find well over 50% of the places I've searched for but does seem to be improving.
    But without Streetview I will stick with Google Maps.

7. Beeplance macrumors 65816

Beeplance

This is a nice improvement, although it looks like the satellite imagery still needs to be enhanced further (look at all the iclouds!!!).

Maybe this new addition will be rolled out to other countries in the near future? But first Apple needs to get the POIs right first before entertaining any thought of implementing this.

8. CTHarrryH macrumors 65816

It is interesting - did this come with 6.1.3 which had "fixes" for Japan mapping? POI based symbols would be great.

As to the UK comments - it does seem from this board as bad as maps is some places in the US it seems much worse in the UK - too bad.

9. virginblue4 macrumors 68000

virginblue4

I'm in the south of England and haven't had any problems with Apple maps. I just tried out what you said, and I see Brighton before I see Rottingdean.

10. Georgij thread starter macrumors regular

I think that the difference is due that he has the information about that location in cache. It is just like some people can't see new 3D cities, because they have information in cache that it isn't 3D. It will fix itself in a while, can take up to few weeks.

11. moderniste macrumors member

Japanese phones usually do display icons for big chains like that, so maybe there was already some kind of data available for it.

I miss Japan – now I want to go to Mister Donut.

12. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

Mos Burger is where it's at. Loved their jalapeno hot dog.

13. The Phazer macrumors 68030

Presumably this is not the Glasgow in Scotland, because Apple Maps is crap there.

14. bozzykid macrumors 68020

I would rather it used generic icons to show what the type of place was. I don't know every logo in the world so showing me the company logo isn't really that helpful.

15. jokerz126 macrumors regular

jokerz126

i'd prefer the iphone was made of bamboo
    ..can't please everyone i guess... :D

16. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

No no no. Teriyaki burger ftw.

17. AlphaVictor87 macrumors 6502a

AlphaVictor87

I also noticed they are showing if an intersection has a traffic light or not. At least along major roads.

18. SprSynJn Guest

Now all they need is a proper search and it'll be great.

19. Georgij thread starter macrumors regular

I totally agree with you. Their search algorithm isn't as good as Google's. Google is in search algorithm business for about 10 years no, so no wonder. It is just a matter of time, but everyone wants it to become perfect in a short time, even me, but algorithms are far complex than consumers think.

20. SprSynJn Guest

Don't get me wrong, I like Maps and I'd prefer to use it. The navigation on it is great. But it can never search for me in Japanese. Once they get that right, I'll be using it much more often.

21. Georgij thread starter macrumors regular

I like them too. But the search doesn't work that good for me. I like to look at unpopulated places and far islands and nature-historical places, rather than populated places.

22. Astcooper macrumors newbie

They also seem to have different coloured motorways / highways to the rest of the world. Hopefully other countries can follow and the UK can have its blue motorways and green A roads.

Also noticed some of the landmarks in Toyko are showing up in the same manner as the flatiron, Chrysler building etc does in NYC.

23. Georgij thread starter macrumors regular

They have same landmarks in San Francisco too, they look really nice and each is unique, you wont find the same one. But they are slow at adding them, I think that there is only one artist for them, and while making them he travels to those places to see how they look like and inspiration.

24. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

You can get the Teriyaki burger at McDonald's. McDonald's also has the Ebi Burger which is pretty good.

25. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

Just had the (recently reintroduced?) teri-tama a few days ago at McDonald's. Mos is a bit better though imo.