Some interesting tidbits getting lost amidst battery life discussion

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Rogifan, Mar 7, 2015.

1. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

From 9to5's scoop: http://9to5mac.com/2015/03/06/sourc...s-battery-life-unannounced-features-and-more/

And from Tech Crunch: http://techcrunch.com/2015/03/06/the-apple-watch-is-time-saved/#tmhmdj:HKJu

And about the digital crown: "It’s also changed physically since the Watch was first shown off, and now has more friction for a weightier, higher-end feel."

----------

If the screen is as good as this source says then I think the battery life estimates are actually really good. And hopefully Apple will open the developer kit for clock faces. Sounds like developers could create some really cool stuff there.

2. Rogifan thread starter macrumors P6

Rogifan

Here's what MG Siegler said about Watch on Twitter:

3. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

As you know from my previous postings, I will edit what you wrote above to how I would like it said :)

And hopefully Apple will open the watch designer kit for clock faces. Sounds like end users could create some really cool stuff there

:D

----------

Likewise, re what you quoted:

"what developers do with it. It'll take a little while."

It's not the devs that are blocking this. It's Apple.

If Apple "ever" lets devs make anything they want, then I believe the results will be amazing.
    I hope they take the locks off it sooner rather than later to allow this to happen.

4. FatMax macrumors 6502

FatMax

5. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

In other words, people are noticing the advantages of AMOLED displays that other companies have been using for years.

6. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Yes, but then they were rubbish then ;)
    Wireless charging for a mobile phone is rubbish also by the way (at the moment) ;)

7. BvizioN macrumors 68040

BvizioN

Wake me up when a wireless charging is truly wireless charging. Until then zzzz
    As for the AMOLED screens I quite like them and always have. Not entirely sure of the reasons why Apple does not use them on iPhones.

8. Sodner macrumors 68020

Sodner

Sounds very promising. Can't wait to get my wrist under one. ;)

9. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

No Wires to your house you mean? :D

Seriously, the best solution, or most practical/realistic one I would say for "Everyone" is for there to be 1 single standard wireless charging system, this then gets built into perhaps the arms of your sofa, your dining table, bedside table, desk at work.

(and yes, I know that means a wire, but let's be honest, most people will have a lamp or a computer or a clock on their tables anyway.

All our phones, tablets, watches, even laptops all work to this same standard, so that, once it's set up, it's simply a case of placing your device down and it starts charging.

This would also work in take-away's restaurants, libraries etc etc.

It's the simplest, most realistic, standard way to get this up and working to all adopt this type of thinking.

And exactly the opposite of what Apple will do, as they won't want to be compatible with any standard ;)

I've not looked into this too much, but I believe the brand new, just announced Samsung Galaxy 6 and 6 edge are perhaps moving along this line. Some talks about it being compatible with a wireless charging standard and Ikea speaking about furniture with this built in?

Perhaps someone who knows more could better explain.

----------

Indeed. Jet black blacks, Amazing colour gamut, No blacklight bleed issues, very low power, I presume no dust under the screen issues.

Like you, I would like to see them used more.

10. fousfous macrumors regular

Charging a phone wireless is stupid, you can't use it...

11. BvizioN macrumors 68040

BvizioN

I don't really know if it will ever be technologically possible (maybe not for health reasons) but wireless charging would ideally be something similar to wifi router. You are in a close range to it, it starts charging the battery so you just continue to normally use your device. I know the lighting cables are not to long but at least many times I find myself using the phone while it is being charged. The way you use the phone while is being charged on these plates is quite limited.

12. Sodner macrumors 68020

Sodner

Exactly!!!!!!

13. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

You mean like a watch?

You have to take the watch off, which means, as we have just found out, it can't receive notifications when it's off, and you can't use it.
    If there was a socket on the side, like on the iPhone, or iPad, then you could sit at your desk, with a thin wire plugged into it, and still just about be able to use it whilst it's recharging.

Yes, as you say, it's stupid :D

In case you did not realise I was being sarcastic due to you ruling out something that you will have to back track on when Apple starts using Wireless charging for other devices :D

14. BvizioN macrumors 68040

BvizioN

To be quite honest with you it's kind of useless while it's off your wrist. You are not doing workout activities, you are not reading your pulse and more importantly you are most likely at home with your smartphone on you. So really, why would you want to use it while it's being charged?

15. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Because your phone is elsewhere in the house, and you want to respond to notifications and such like whilst you are at your desk?

Oh and I agree, the whole house being a wireless charger like WiFi would be great, but I'm accepting what is possible right now.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-31693088

Perhaps more companies will follow this lead with more and more furniture.
    Building this into computer type desks makes a lot of sense.

As we know, once this furniture is out, and more furniture makers, see this, and follow suit, THEN the device makers will be keen to make sure their devices are compatible.

Perhaps this is the start of this coming into mainstream ?

Most notably:

Ikea has used the wireless charging standard QI, which is also supported by Samsung in its latest handset, the S6.

16. rick987611 macrumors member

I would guess those of you saying current wireless charging have never used it. I loved it on my nexus 5. So much easier to drop the phone on a small pad next to the bed. Kept one on my desk at work, so when I wasn't actively using my phone it was also charging. Although it was negated by the fact that the battery on that thing was terrible. I would love it on my iPhone though.

17. Rogifan thread starter macrumors P6

Rogifan

What is Apple blocking? I'm not aware of anyone saying Apple was blocking anything. Just because the SDK for native apps isn't ready yet doesn't mean Apple is blocking stuff.

----------

Sure sounds like Ive is a fan. Perhaps he'll get his way and they show up on iPhones in the future. :)

18. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Perhaps Blocking could be the wrong word.

However, I do have my theory that I shall repeat here, as I feel it's a realistic and logical stance, and feel free to consider how genuine this could be:

Apple is launching a watch and the media is going to be focussed on it.
    Key point is going to be battery life (we all know it, and Apple know it)
    Really poor battery life will get picked up by the media very quick.
    Day one headlines, stick on people's minds long term and don't go away.

With all this in mind. Apple not having SDK's ready ;) And telling devs about 10 seconds per watch interaction.
    they are doing pre-launch damage limitation, so that, the media will be able to say battery life is not too bad, and avoid any horror stories.
    So, early news reports will look good.

Now... 6 or 8 month down the line, finally devs can have more ability to do what they want (apple works out the SDKs or lets them use them) whichever version you wish to accept.

Then the battery life for more full/heavy apps now sucks big time.
    But, now it will be the app's fault, as the early release day news showed the watch has great battery life :)

See what I'm saying here. Its very well thought out by Apple if this is a plan.

far far better to have poor battery stories blamed on some apps 8 months after launch, than to have them on day 1 and the initial reports having headlines about how bad the Apple watch battery is.

I can't fault this as a plan, and it will work perfectly as a strategy :)

Or course, also, by this time, there may be a "Watch v2" that will be able to run this more complete apps even better, so there is your reason next year to upgrade already planned for :D