Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dysamoria

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2011
The article isn't wrong here though, it's literally what has to happen to get better performance and battery life. Any OS update in the history of modern computing does the same thing. There's no way around it and there's no magical way to improve indexing. It's just work the computer has to do.

The issue is AFTER these things are done, the battery is still draining fast for some users, myself included.
You’ve just excused bad design, not explained “you just don’t understand tech”. The OS is literally excluded from indexing, and the OS is the only thing changed by an OS update. Work it out.

dysamoria

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2011
My 12 Pro had its worst ever battery drain after updating from 15.6 to 15.7. I can usually get at least towards two days out of it but it only managed about six or seven hours before hitting 20% left. (I rarely get that low.)

If there something in 15.7, which I assume would also be in 16 (all versions), that caused the issue? In which case, would it affect anyone updating from 15.6 to any version of 16 - but possibly not if you are already on 15.7?
Makes me glad I didn’t update to 15.7…

Reactions: JM and polyphenol

dysamoria

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2011
15.7 on any devices but those that stop at iOS 15 (like 6s and SE1) was a release candidate only and not a GM. I believe it was OTA only for 12 Pro.

Best to probably try 16.0 onwards, since I think that one was shunned, if its already bad for you but that sucks.
15.7 is offered to my SE3…

dysamoria

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2011
Half as often but with twice the number of changes?

Maybe twice a year each with half as many changes.
Maybe major updates once per every two years, and half as many unnecessary changes… with a focus on optimization and bug fixes.

Reactions: JM

dysamoria

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2011
If there was no one to force things out the door, then nothing would ever get released.

You need a balance of designers who will forever iterate to perfection, and a decision maker who says “pencils down”.
You’re just furthering the normalization of junk software by presenting the “you want perfection” strawman in management-tailored language.

dysamoria

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2011
Yes, a first for me. I’m not confident Apple will pursue any fix for the spotlight search issue as I haven’t seen a ton of people complain about it but also not everyone uses the search often enough for it to be an issue for them. Also, it very well could be related to edge case scenarios as to how search settings are configured per app. I tried to prove that out but it would take a lot more time than I have to spend on it.

With every major release with an OS this complex, it‘s almost a certainty there will be bugs. I don’t understand the “there’s always complainers” people. We complain because we have high expectation of quality control, especially from Apple. If things don’t work properly or slowly as expected, that’s a problem. We use our phones for so much now that it can have a real impact on user experience, something which Apple takes great pride in. We aren’t picketing outside of their headquarters, we are just making it known that this is not working as expected and ‘is it just me or is this indicative of a larger issue’? Clearly the whole ‘allow paste’ issue is one that bothered people and Apple admitted was an issue so we aren’t all crying wolf here.
Apple terminated my high expectations around the 2013 product releases. Little has gotten better, much has gotten worse. I stay because they’re the least bad choice, not the superior choice.

dysamoria

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2011
Hard disagree. Project management types don't understand what it takes to engineer software, they think it's no different than writing an email. They get angry when you give long estimates because they think it should take a smaller amount of time, they get angry if delays happen because they didn't allow for the time the dev team originally asked for, and this is why crap gets rushed out the door.

The problem really is project management in most cases.
I can give project managers one bit of flex: executives above them are likely brainwashed into Wall Street’s perpetual gains pathology. If the company leadership won’t refuse to be pathological, nobody below them can do a good job for the customer.

The leadership at the top doesn’t really care about the product or the customer, if they’re playing Wall Street games. It’s visible in merely using the product regularly. Executives either don’t use the products themselves (relying on executive assistants), or barely utilize anything in them… or they just plain don’t give a damn about anything other than their own personal finances.

Hyperchaotic

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2005
Hard disagree. Project management types don't understand what it takes to engineer software, they think it's no different than writing an email. They get angry when you give long estimates because they think it should take a smaller amount of time, they get angry if delays happen because they didn't allow for the time the dev team originally asked for, and this is why crap gets rushed out the door.

The problem really is project management in most cases.

As an engineer I can say that making accurate estimates is hard, really really hard. We tend to underestimate work, even knowing this. Obviously that clashes with set or unrealistic deadlines. This is why there have been so many attempts at finding better development and management practices over the decades, and e.g. better tools/languages like Swift and Rust are introduced that attempts to eliminate memory issues that can take forever to reproduce and debug.

Everything about development and management is a cornucopia of uncertainties clashing with market windows and there's no easy solution.

Reactions: dysamoria

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014
You’re just furthering the normalization of junk software by presenting the “you want perfection” strawman in management-tailored language.
You sound like you don’t like to be rushed 🤣

I don’t either.

Tell me, why do you think iOS and iPhone used to be so polished and clean experience?

dysamoria

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2011
I’m sorry but this is why you shouldn’t update right away. At least wait until .1 or .01 before updating. Every year crap happens and every year ppl fall for it.
Because it shouldn’t be this way. Normalizing it with “you should know now not to update when the public release comes out” is illogical, but Wall Street loves that tech geeks will help them maintain their pathology via this anti-user rhetoric.

AppleFan1998

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2010
USA
Let's hope the 16.1 fixes a lot of the bugs. I don't notice any these things, but it's good to know it could always improve.

dysamoria

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2011
As an engineer I can say that making accurate estimates is hard, really really hard. We tend to underestimate work, even knowing this. Obviously that clashes with set or unrealistic deadlines. This is why there have been so many attempts at finding better development and management practices over the decades, and e.g. better tools/languages like Swift and Rust are introduced that attempts to eliminate memory issues that can take forever to reproduce and debug.

Everything about development and management is a cornucopia of uncertainties clashing with market windows and there's no easy solution.
One tactic, though not a total solution, is to not participate in Wall Street and “investor” pathology in the first place. But Wall Street pathology has strangled all markets, strangled the economy, and claims the term “economy” for itself.

The only way to exit is for leadership at major corporations to remove their corporations from Wall Street entirely and let the stock market die. Buy back all the shares, delist, move on. Since most leadership is composed of the very same mindsets that drive the Wall Street pathology, it’ll never happen by the will of laissez-faire capitalism itself.

They’ve left things such that “the only way to participate is to further the disease”. It’s clearly unsustainable, but capitalizing the gains and socializing the losses keeps the top holders going, and ensures the continued subsidizing of a fundamentally unworkable system.

JosephAW

macrumors 603
May 14, 2012
Noticing suffering on my 14 as well as poor battery life and favorite fails to show at times. :rolleyes:

dysamoria

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2011
You sound like you don’t like to be rushed 🤣

I don’t either.

Tell me, why do you think iOS and iPhone used to be so polished and clean experience?
You’re right; I hate being rushed. 👍🏽

iOS used to be fairly self-explanatory, most functions were easily discoverable; controls obvious. There was less complexity, both in feature set and design, and the features that were included were generally well executed (definitely better execution compared to today).

There were problems, but they stood out. Crashing Mail and erasing my work in progress was an egregious fault with adding a system clipboard. Now there are so many broken things that it’s just overwhelming. Legitimate complaints are replied to with the “you want perfection” strawman and people cover their ears & eyes and move on.

One of the biggest changes that brought it all crashing down was Jony Ive deciding that the entire UI needed to be re-skinned to eliminate something that he has personal, illogical, and arbitrary hate attached to: skeumorphism. We don’t need green felt backgrounds or wood grain. We do need controls that look like manipulable objects. Enough UI experts have explained this, but people don’t like experts, because… reasons.

The reporting (books??) was that Ive put the print design department on the task, not the existing GUI experts already in the company. His obvious obsession with minimalism, and therefore approval of the flat design fad, was clearly the guidance for the new look.

There’s so much wrong with hiding or minimizing controls. Not only are they hard to intuit (we tech people have adjusted by tapping, clicking, swiping, and holding on literally everything to see if that accomplishes something, but we are not normal people anymore), they’re hard to operate (I constantly encounter controls whose hit targets are only as big as a single character, taking multiple taps to activate), and the control might fail to be available at all because of a state change bug (rollover triggering visibility of controls in Mail on macOS are a good example).

While certain new gestures were added that are working fine for their own tasks, some are the only way to do a thing, aren’t obvious to users, and many of them conflict with others (one of my most irritating conflicts is swiping gestures on the keyboard to do a quick number or capital letter: it brings up the control center on phone with a home button, which Apple consider a lesser product, therefore not worth solving).

Some of the 2013 changes demonstrate an absolute failure of knowledge about GUI design and conventions. The multiple-select mode is inconsistent across iOS, with the most frequent implementation being one that doesn’t actually allow multiple objects to be selected at once, for a mass deletion, for example. While this has been addressed in a few egregious cases, it was done very late (multiple major OS releases later), and the basic GUI API clearly wasn’t fixed (the UI for manual deletion of specific Safari history keeps moving backwards, with iOS 15 making it even clumsier, and the editing of the advanced Safari settings with the UI to delete stored content hasn’t changed whatsoever).

I could go on and on, but this is not the thread topic. Suffice to say that a lot of nice and even useful things have been added to iOS and Mac OS since the golden era, but their execution is poor, especially in integration with existing functionality, and they tend to be left unfinished. Beta quality, is where so much of the features are stuck (Siri is how old, and still has no apparent concept of working memory/context sensitivity; how long has swiping-to-type existed, and yet it still lacks context sensitivity, and swiping completely breaks when a notification pops up; or just the whole keyboard and autocorrect in general), and it’s because because Apple moves on to the next new features to promote the next new hardware release EVERY DAMNED YEAR. There’s no time dedicated to optimizing and correcting the tons of beta-quality features already there, and now they’re even announcing features for new major OS revisions, even when they know those features won’t be available until later revisions.

It’s pathological.

The ethos of Apple dramatically shifted from “insanely great products” to “insanely large profits”, and most people seem to not be willing to acknowledge this, even while being abused by their preferred products… probably because Apple products are still the least abusive of their users. “Less bad” is not superior. While it might generally be “the death of a thousand paper cuts”, rather than daily apocalypses, the joy which Apple operating systems used to allow is now long gone. I feel like Apple replaced my joy with Microsoft Windows misery.

Reactions: JM

macfixx

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2010
Big Tech is more and more like Big Pharma.

I’m so ready for the fifth iOS 16.x booster. Then we’ll finally be known serious bug free for a week or two. Or, maybe that’s just never going to happen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.