Some iPhone 4 questions

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by forcetactic, Sep 4, 2010.

1. forcetactic macrumors 6502

My mom is currently on an iPhone 4 and she's going to deactivate the iPhone 4 sim and reactivate her old phone so I could use the iPhone as an ipod touch (minus the phone features). Few questions.

1. When I try to update to 4.1 or future iOS updates, will it require me to have a sim card (aka ask for activation via each update so I need a working iphone to do this rather than an ipod touch)
    2. If I restore the phone to factory setting, will it ask me to activate the phone?
    3. If it does ask me to activate the phone and I have a deactivated sim card, will it activate iphone sim card and deactivate the one on my mom's old phone?

2. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

1) You will have to hang on to the old sim card if you plan to use it as a iPod, it activates every time through iTunes when an update takes place. Even though the sim is no longer valid, it needs the sim to activate the device, no the cellular service.

2)reference #1

3)reference#1
    3.2)It will not deactivate your mom's service nor activate cell service on the iPhone4 you're using as an iPod. The sim, once deactivated, cannot be reactivated. Should you decide you want to use it, one day, as an iPhone - you would need to acquire a new sim card.

3. forcetactic thread starter macrumors 6502

So just to clarify, once it's deactivated, no matter what I do it will not mess with my mom's old cell phone. Also the deactivated sim can be used to upgrade firmware and restore from factory settings to activate iphone (to use as ipod touch without phone)

If so, thanks a lot for your help :p This is the info i needed

4. JDNGuru macrumors member

No. It will not mess with your mom's old cell. Like the person above said, it is only needed to activate the device, not the cellular service.