Some iPhone Apps can Not be Deleted

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Alan Mac Farlan, Apr 18, 2015.

1. Alan Mac Farlan, Apr 18, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2015

Alan Mac Farlan macrumors regular

Go into 'Settings' App, then click on 'General', then in to 'Usage' and then into 'Manage Storage' ... a list of all your apps will come up.

Tap one like Caller ID or any other listed App and it slides open to where you can Delete the App, poof it is gone. No more memory usage from that App.

However the Apps installed on iPhone that comes with it, several of them you can NOT delete. Like 'Health' or 'iBooks' or 'Podcast'. I never have a need for the 'Health' App and if I wanted it, I think I can download it .. but there is no way to get rid of it.

ALSO .. oddly enough ... on the iTunes where your iPhone (iPod and iPad) you can have a Sync done, get some diagnositics, or put music library in your memory, well that also has a listing of all your Download Apps you put in.

However, the Apps that came pre-installed, they are not on the listing. You can mouse the pages and move them around on the iMac which is way better then using your finger on the iPhone. But there is no deleting them or a means to update them ... like Garage Band.

If you down load Garage Band from the App Store, then iTunes would know you have it, and can update it. Otherwise ... nope as it is pre-installed on purchase.

I discovered this oddity, when I hooked up my Mophie Space Pack for the first time, it immediately told me that the Space App was out of date, despite me having it from the iTunes App store just the day before. I updated it and it did not work of course, and the Mophie Space pack is seen as 'No Device' on my Kenwood Stereo System as it is not a Apple Lightening USB connector. So no road tunes with Mophie around and their special USB cable. My Mophie pack is now crap and not even worth being a paperweight.

Also listed with the Space App were another 10 Apps my iPhone was telling me needed to be updated. That could only be done by Wi-Fi and I did not have the time for that. As the iMac could not do it like it can with the other apps it knows are in the iPhone, as these pre-installed apps ... are not there according to iTunes.

Only way to update them is wi-fi it seems and I get that done when I am in a hot spot for a while.

This has to be fixed ...

just a code work in the iTunes to see what it is in there for the sync and keep it in the back up.

It is so much faster to work with the iPhone over the iMac and the cable modem.

Also ... let me get rid of all the iPhone apps I can mouse around on iTunes as they would be on the list of Apps like all the rest when you fix it of course. Some people do not want to read books or watch movies on their iPhone .. let alone pay for them. As just the download, unless done over iMac, is very expensive.

Oh ... in closing .. Mophie USB cable is 4 times slower then iPhone Lightening USB cable. Also when I drop the copy paste of music from iTunes into the Space Pack from the desktop icon ... about half the music is not supported and will not play on the Mophie App. I do not know what that is about. I click open an album, and have 10 songs in there, 5 of them are not to be listened to. Same CD, and same Apple transfer for all of the songs. Mophie app is the pits and so is their hardware.

Have a happy day guys.

Alan

:apple::apple::apple:

2. aPple nErd macrumors 68030

aPple nErd

3. Alan Mac Farlan thread starter macrumors regular

Yup ... my first one.

My life is getting busy now and I need one.

Been a Macintosh geek since the Apple II came out.

4. I7guy macrumors G5

Unfortunately this is the apple way of doing business. :eek:

5. Alan Mac Farlan thread starter macrumors regular

Well as soon as Android figures out how to put your music library on their phone ... then Apple will have big competition.

I will get the cheaper Android that does all the same stuff as iPhone ... and has expandable memory by just slipping a chip in to a slot. Plug it into my car USB port and I am a happy road Max.

;););)

6. bbotte macrumors 65816

bbotte

7. C DM macrumors Westmere

Well, some pre-installed apps that some people have can be deleted, like Garage Band that was mentioned.

Other than that, pretty much all phones come with some stock/default apps that can't be removed as far as I can recall. So not only it's nothing new but nothing unique or strange either.

8. Alan Mac Farlan thread starter macrumors regular

well yeah .. on the iPhone they are on the bottom in the gray bar ... phone, mail, safari and music ... the others you can fiddle with and they are on the manage memory listings where supposedly they can be deleted ...

I don't want the Health App ... waste of space for me ...

Alan

:mad::mad::mad:

9. JackieInCo macrumors 601

They can't be deleted. Many people are complaining on the Apple forums because they are stuck with the Apple Watch app.

10. jldesutter83 macrumors regular

jldesutter83

I feel like this is something Alan from The Hangover would post. :)

11. Alan Mac Farlan thread starter macrumors regular

That is a different Alan ... that Alan Hangover dude.

I am Alan Clean and Sober dude.

:eek::eek::eek:

12. CTHarrryH macrumors 65816

Most of us have created a folder which we put on the last page that is named worthless or something similar that we stick all those apps we don't want and can't delete. Once in the folder you forget about them until another update that puts more worthless (to you) apps and you have to move that app also. It is a bother but again once you hide them you tend to forget about them

13. ChinaRye macrumors 6502

ChinaRye

14. C DM macrumors Westmere

Or pretty much any other (smart)phone.

15. Alan Mac Farlan thread starter macrumors regular

That is GOOD NEWS ...

I guess the Apple Smart Watch App ... becomes my new worthless folder. I don't see getting a smart watch all that smart for me right now. Of course maybe I will watch the Watch Video and see what it is all about ... just to be fair to Steve Jobs. ;)

... however a Power Pack with Speakers that also has an AM/FM radio and an expandable memory slot to take smart disks with a Lightening Apple USB Port has me all excited wanting to buy that !!!

More power, endless video and data space, better sound, with an AM/FM radio ... that hooks up to the iMac and all USB devices so it works Plug and Play ... what is not to like.

16. perkedel macrumors 6502a

perkedel

At least with Apple, it's Apple apps. I find it as non obtrusive.
    With my android, it's the carrier apps that I can't remove. (yeah yeah root it, **** enough with it).
    I had a virgin android phone that came with mobile id launcher by default that auto install social media, custom wallpaper, etc. WTF is this? :rolleyes: It's neither wanted or needed, and I can't remove it. I had to root it and remove the junkware.

I'm a switcher from android to apple, you can't pay me enough to go back ;)

17. jldesutter83 macrumors regular

jldesutter83

Clean and sober is the way to be! Welcome to iPhone! :)

18. posguy99 macrumors 6502

When did this suddenly become impossible? I was putting music on an Android phone from a Mac when Android was still Froyo.

19. bhayes444 macrumors 6502a

You can, just create a folder on your Android device called Music (if it's not already there), then drag and drop the files into the folder. Same with ringtones, videos, pictures, etc.

20. leroypants Suspended

The iphone is filled with bloatware that is forced upon users and Apple will not allow users to delete them. I would love to delete them but since Apple tells users what they can and can't do I just created a folder called "useless crap" and moved it to the last page.

21. Alan Mac Farlan thread starter macrumors regular

Oh cool .... first I heard about it.

On the Mophie Space Pack ... one does that as well over their USB Micro Port that takes 4 times longer to copy paste over to it then the lightening cable.

Also .. half the songs will not play, as they are not supported.

I have one CD Album for example with 10 songs copy on the Apple Lossless data transfer and 5 of the songs Mophie App says are not supported.

Also ... Android has to hook to my Kenwood, Panasonic, what ever USB device in the car or truck ... does that work as well.

Mophie on their USB micro port ... reads as "No Device'" on the Kenwood I have .. take the Mophie off and plug in the Lightening cable to the iPhone and I got plug and play hands off phone as well as music.

So for me ... Mophie is crap and I don't want a USB micro port in my life as it is a headache.

For $149 ... I got the 5s/32 and real happy with it.

Alan

:cool::cool::cool:

22. C DM macrumors Westmere

As opposed to most other phones?

23. bhayes444 macrumors 6502a

The Mophie pack does sound like a headache to use. As far as the Android USB support, it really depends on the manufacturer of the device you're plugging into. Most major manufacturers will support it in a mass storage mode, but it won't have as nice of an interface as the head units and stereos that have Apple specific support.

24. jv12345 macrumors newbie

can't delete and reinstall app

Hello,

I have an iphone 4s - it was used when purchased, the previous owner had the NYT app, I have wanted to download the app myself but b/c it was previously on the phone (even thought it is deleted now), the app store only asks me to update it - and when I click update it asks for the previous owner app id password.

Help?

25. C DM macrumors Westmere

Are you sure it's not on the phone anymore? It shouldn't be asking you to update if the app isn't on the phone.