Some iPhone questions

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SlappyJoe, Jun 7, 2009.

1. SlappyJoe macrumors newbie

Hello,

I am considering picking up an iphone and was wondering if you guys could answer some questions I have about it. I've tried looking up a lot of this stuff on my own but couldn't find definitive answers so that's why I'm here :)

First, can you load your own mp3s and/or wav files to use as ringtones? Or can you only use ringtones purchased from Itunes (does Itunes even sell ringtones?).

Assuming you can load your own ringtones; can you customize it so that your text messages, voicemail alerts, phone calls each use a different ringtone? Or do they all need to use the same ringtone or default alert?

Finally, with respect to watching videos on the iphone, can you only watch movies purchased from Itunes or can I rip my own DVDS through Handbrake and load them onto the iphone?

Thanks for the help in advance! Looking forward to picking up the new phone if and when it's announced! :)

:apple:

2. Randman macrumors 65816

Randman

You can create your ringtones but they need to load though iTunes. You can have custom ringtones for different callers but not on text messages or alerts (unless it changes in 3.0).

Same with video. You can add your own but again, need to go through iTunes for syncing.

3. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

You can get ring tones for free from www.myxer.com
    I just don't feel like making any... the laziness in me :D

4. CrzyCanuck72 macrumors 6502a

You have to convert them to the iPhone ringtone format first (either manually or using a program), but yes you can load your own ringtones

Custom ringtones are only for voice calls. Texts and voicemail alerts can't be changed (except through jailbreaking)

Yes

5. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

For ringtones, use a sound editing program. I don't know about windows, but for Mac, Sound Studio works best. Crop the mp3 down to 40 seconds or less, and save it as an .m4a, then change the extension to ".m4r". It should be able to load in the ringtones section of iTunes. Now, this worked for me up until 8.2, and then i noticed that even when it showed up in ringtones, it wouldnt sync to the iPhone.

If thats the case, use cyberduck to SSH (google the tutorial, its real simple), and you can just drag and drop you ringtones after making them, and they'll show up in addition to the default ringtones, but they'lll work (did for me).

The second one you can do, but Apple only lets you customize the ringtone, if anything. So in order to do the other stuff, you have to SSH into your iPhone, fine the sound files, rename your own with the exact name, and replace them.

You can change the SMS, but only to the limited selection Apple has preloaded, and Voicemail doesnt have a tone (I think its just the SMS tone).

You can use a video converter program. For Mac, i use Handbrake (free), and they have an iPhone setting.