Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Over the past few days, some iPhone users have said the "Allow Apps to Request to Track" toggle in the Settings app is suddenly grayed out on their devices. The issue was highlighted by @iDeviceHelpus on X, and in a post on Reddit.

Allow-Apps-to-Request-to-Track-Grayed-Out-Feature-1.jpg

Apple's fine print below the grayed-out toggle says "this setting cannot be changed because a profile is restricting it, or because your Apple ID is being managed, does not meet the minimum age requirements, or is missing age information." However, many affected users say none of these reasons actually apply to them.

While some affected users said the issue began after they updated their iPhones to iOS 17.5, released earlier this week, others said they are also impacted on older software versions, including iOS 17.4.1, iOS 17.4, and iOS 16.6. The root cause of the problem is unclear. We have reached out to Apple for comment.

With multiple iOS versions affected, and some users saying the problem eventually resolved itself, it is likely this is a server-side issue.

Located in the Settings app under Privacy & Security → Tracking, the "Allow Apps to Request to Track" setting normally allows apps to ask to track your activity across other apps and websites when it is turned on. When the setting is turned off, all new app tracking requests are automatically denied. The setting is part of Apple's App Tracking Transparency feature, introduced with iOS 14.5 around three years ago.

Update: Apple says it has fixed an issue that may have briefly disabled the "Allow Apps to Request to Track" setting for some iPhone users on iOS 14 and above. All affected users will see their previously-selected settings be restored over the next few days. Users who were impacted by the bug were defaulted to the most privacy-preserving state.

Article Link: Some iPhone Users Say 'Allow Apps to Request to Track' Toggle is Suddenly Grayed Out [Fixed]

Last edited:

Rodney Williams

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2020
I've checked mine and it is grayed out as well on my iPhone 14 Pro. It sucks to have to deal with this. Dammit Apple. What's going on? Never seen so many issues with iOS year after year. I'm sure there is a iOS update coming to fix this issue.

coffeemilktea

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2022
I personally find it hard to imagine who wants to turn it on, but I guess there's people out there who really do.

There's probably people out there who like having a pebble in their shoe too... I won't judge. 😩

The_Martini_Cat

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2015
I turned this on for just 1 second (I'm up to date on updates), and no app jumped in to ask to track. So I turned it off again. I guess my ads just won't be personalised.🍸😿

Reactions: Saturn007

NikaLilly

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2024
This problem also appeared on iPadOS. It has appeared on all 3 iPads I own and also on the iPhone. On older and newer systems.
IMG_0498.PNG

BriceApp

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2018
Winston-Salem, NC
I'm curious to know who has this toggled on and why. Mine has always been toggled off.
I have it toggled on when it is working correctly so I can see when an app asks to track, obviously I deny the request but still like to see it.

It is greyed out on my 13PM but not on my iPad Air 4. Both are on 17.5. I would assume this is a backend server issue.

Moofo

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2011
It's like this on mine. But it also says it is like this because my AppleID is missing age information. Makes sense.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Apple clearly has their B Team on iOS 17.5 ahead of WWDC where their A Team is focused on delivering the real deal. I still can’t believe there hasn’t been an emergency update to people’s years old nudes reappearing!

• Haha
Reactions: Victor Mortimer

pipes2181

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2020
If for some reason you need to enable it temporarily, go to the App Store, log out, restart the device and you can enable it. Log in again once you are done.

• Haha
Reactions: Victor Mortimer
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.