Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chkdg8

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 24, 2007
This past weekend I had an unfortunate incident at work where a drunk customer decided to reach over my bar, grab my iphone and slammed it on the bar top until it cracked open. Out of this entire situation, I was more upset of the fact that all new iphones were now being shipped with the latest firmware and I would lose all of my Cydia apps and settings. On a personal note, I have to admit that the stock iphone is really not that interesting after being spoiled with a jailbroken unit. I guess I'll have to wait along with the rest of us until the iPhone Dev Team come out with the latest release.

To get back to topic, this was not the first time I JB'd my phone. I tried it for the first time almost a year ago and I didn't have the best experience but when I did, a lot of quirks crossed over after I restored it to the original software. Four months ago I had a change of heart and decided to give jailbreaking another chance. I fell in love again and had no problems whatsoever until the inevitable happened.

Yesterday I bought a new 16GB 3GS and after a clean restore, I realized that it happened again. I noticed that even though the 3GS has a numerical battery indicator option, mine was still displaying while the option was turned off. (screen caps below) This is still on from my batter indicator app from Cydia. Next was my WiFi numerical indicator tweak off of Cydia but yet it has crossed over. And finally, my AT&T logo tweak is a little alien head. How can this happen?

The first time I JB'd, it took a little over three weeks to kind of "wear off" on its own. Does anybody have any ideas?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 75
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 62
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 64
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 56
  • itunes.png
    itunes.png
    112.8 KB · Views: 54

lonnielove

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2007
This past weekend I had an unfortunate incident at work where a drunk customer decided to reach over my bar, grab my iphone and slammed it on the bar top until it cracked open. Out of this entire situation, I was more upset of the fact that all new iphones were now being shipped with the latest firmware and I would lose all of my Cydia apps and settings. On a personal note, I have to admit that the stock iphone is really not that interesting after being spoiled with a jailbroken unit. I guess I'll have to wait along with the rest of us until the iPhone Dev Team come out with the latest release.

To get back to topic, this was not the first time I JB'd my phone. I tried it for the first time almost a year ago and I didn't have the best experience but when I did, a lot of quirks crossed over after I restored it to the original software. Four months ago I had a change of heart and decided to give jailbreaking another chance. I fell in love again and had no problems whatsoever until the inevitable happened.

Yesterday I bought a new 16GB 3GS and after a clean restore, I realized that it happened again. I noticed that even though the 3GS has a numerical battery indicator option, mine was still displaying while the option was turned off. (screen caps below) This is still on from my batter indicator app from Cydia. Next was my WiFi numerical indicator tweak off of Cydia but yet it has crossed over. And finally, my AT&T logo tweak is a little alien head. How can this happen?

The first time I JB'd, it took a little over three weeks to kind of "wear off" on its own. Does anybody have any ideas?

I would uninstall itunes off the computer and do a defragment the drive and redownload itunes then see what happens???

chkdg8

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 24, 2007
I would uninstall itunes off the computer and do a defragment the drive and redownload itunes then see what happens???
How would I handle my iTunes library? I don't have an external backup solution yet. Ironically, it's arriving from newegg tomorrow.

lonnielove

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2007
How would I handle my iTunes library? I don't have an external backup solution yet. Ironically, it's arriving from newegg tomorrow.

Well i have all my songs saved on a usb flash drive so i just redownload from there.

chkdg8

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 24, 2007
Well i have all my songs saved on a usb flash drive so i just redownload from there.

Damn, I have at least 40GB in podcasts alone! I'll wait until tomorrow until my Icy Dock and 1TB Samsung arrives.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
As a previous poster pointed out, this happened because you restored from a jailbroken backup. Messing with iTunes and/or your computer's hard drive won't do anything to help with your problem.

If you don't mind losing all app data, restore and set your iPhone up as new. If you have app data you don't want to lose, you'll just have to live with the JB traces. Those traces are just cosmetic, I personally haven't had any problems with leaving them on non jailbroken iDevices.

instaxgirl

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2009
Edinburgh, UK

Like the poster above me said you definitely DO NOT need to uninstall iTunes.

To get rid of them just set it up as a new phone. I've also lived with those sort of jailbreak tweaks hanging around, they don't 'cause any problems.

chkdg8

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 24, 2007
If you don't mind losing all app data, restore and set your iPhone up as new. If you have app data you don't want to lose, you'll just have to live with the JB traces. Those traces are just cosmetic, I personally haven't had any problems with leaving them on non jailbroken iDevices.
I don't mind losing my app data but how do I get around saving my pics, ringtones and especially contacts? Just set it up as new and import my contacts from Address Book?

To get rid of them just set it up as a new phone. I've also lived with those sort of jailbreak tweaks hanging around, they don't 'cause any problems.
Actually, there were some problems when I jailbroke. My 3G capabilities were completely screwed up after jailbreaking. Mail, BofA app, Pandora, App Store and iTunes didn't work under 3G. I still have these problems although we now know what the problem is. I'm going to go ahead and import my pics and set up as new.

ntrigue

macrumors 68040
Jul 30, 2007
I don't mind losing my app data but how do I get around saving my pics, ringtones and especially contacts? Just set it up as new and import my contacts from Address Book?

Are you on OS X? Pictures can be synced to iPhoto or Vista in Pictures. Address Book can be synced in iTunes. Ringtones are always in Music Library.

chkdg8

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 24, 2007
Are you on OS X? Pictures can be synced to iPhoto or Vista in Pictures. Address Book can be synced in iTunes. Ringtones are always in Music Library.

Yes, I am on OS X. I synced all of my contacts and ringtones no problem but what I did was export my iphone's camera roll with the Image Capture app just to be safe and saved it on my desktop. Now I'm trying to figure out how to import those pictures back into the phone and have it as the phone's camera roll and not a picture album.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Now I'm trying to figure out how to import those pictures back into the phone and have it as the phone's camera roll and not a picture album.

There's no way to do that. Pictures in the camera roll are saved in a completely different location in the iPhone file system than pictures synced onto the iPhone through iTunes. What's wrong with having the pictures in a picture album, anyway? I can't think of any way they behave differently than the ones in the camera roll.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.