Some keys on my keyboard don't work after milk spllage

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by brainwave89, Aug 31, 2008.

1. brainwave89 macrumors 6502

I spilled some soy milk on my Apple keyboard and the following keys do not work:
    Tab
    caps lock
    esc
    key below the esc key

I have taken those keys out and cleaned the surrounding area but I still can't get them to work. Any suggestions on how I can get those keys working again would be appreciated.

2. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

Odds are you destroyed components under the keys with the spill, thus the only easy way to fix it would be to buy a new keyboard.

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Take keyboard apart, clean it with alcohol, and try it.

May have to, separate the 3 layers of plastic to try to completely clean it.

If the traces are damaged, buy a cheap Radio Shack trace repair pen and draw back in the damaged traces.

Likely the traces may be damaged and discolored.

Basically all the keyboard is is 3 layers of plastic with the center one a little thicker and used as a spacer. the other two can be printed with conductive ink, which is easily damaged by some liquids that react with the ink. Hench the trace pen.

4. msprouls macrumors member

msprouls

As a last resort you could flush out the keyboard with distilled a couple of times. Shake out the excess water and go over it with a hair dryer on the low setting. Let it set for a day or so turning it over 180 deg a couple of times during this time. Go over it one more time with the hair dryer and let it set again over night and you may be in business, if it still does not work nothing lost.

5. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

That is precisely what should be done. I'll add that you don't try to use it until it's completely dry. With electricity flowing through it - even if it's very low voltage - it will turn the water into acid - and etch/destroy the components inside. (even with distilled/di water)

So yeah, rinse with Distilled/DI H20, remove as much water as possible, open the keyboard if possible, and let it dry, dry dry.

This will save just about any electronic device that is exposed to water.