some kind of document organizer app?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Melan, Feb 21, 2008.

1. Melan macrumors regular

hi all,

is anyone aware of some kind of program for OSX that can do for text documents (.txt files, open office documents, maybe omnioutliner stuff as well) what itunes does for music and iphoto does for photos? It seems archaic and downright messy to use the finder for documents (I still use finder for videos but that's ok since i don't have many and it's easy enough to organize), I end up with a load of folders with names that don't really help when I'm looking for the document I'm after. What I really want is some way of organising documents that means not using the finder, in the same way that I haven't seen a music file in finder since I got itunes. Does something like that exist?

thanks!

2. MrT8064 macrumors 6502a

MrT8064

I totally agree with you, i wish there was somthing better than finder for documents.

often i have a document that i can't put in just 1 folder, because it is relevant to two things... e.g. a receipt for a computer building project, do i put it in computer, or receipts?

3. Melan thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah. Right now i have, among other more clear folder names, "Interesting", "Projects", "Stuff", "Bollocks", "Important Info" and so on. I know I should probably just organize the folders better but whatever I do it seems insufficient - there has to be an easier way to do it!

4. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

There are programs out there targeted at the research community, and those who collect many .pdf files from published papers. In fact, one is called Papers. It's basically iTunes for pdfs.

5. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Yep! is another great pdf organizer, but still i wish that there was something that could handle my word files too and allow for more tagging etc.

6. Melan thread starter macrumors regular

Looking into it, Papers is pretty much exactly what I'd be looking for if it was just pdfs I was having trouble with. That is a really nice program though, I might consider it just to help with the academic stuff.

7. baboyako macrumors newbie

8. nemex macrumors regular

nemex

I use Yep for PDF's which is great. This same company has recently introduced a beta for an app called Leap, probably this may suit your needs

Cheers!

9. tuxtpenguin macrumors regular

I was considering asking this question the other day. I'll have to check out Leap or Yep.

10. kfordham281 macrumors 6502

Try Together. I used the 1.3 version and for my basic needs it was fine. 2.x is suppose to be a lot better.

11. Freis968 macrumors 6502a

Freis968

These are some good programs for organizing PDF files, but what about documents created in Pages? I have many and none of these programs recognize those. I can save them in PDF format, sure, but why should I have to? Isn't there some orgazational program out there that will organize ALL of my documents?

12. xilus macrumors newbie

My favorite is DevonThink Pro Office
    and it has OCR!