some Kindle Fire reviews are already in

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Yr Blues, Nov 13, 2011.

1. Yr Blues, Nov 13, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2011
  2. Sangdushi macrumors regular

3. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

I guess so...it doesn't have 100k apps behind it. :/

4. Yr Blues thread starter macrumors 68020

It's the best Android media tablet at only $199. I think it'll put a dent in the iPod touch market at the same price point.

5. AlvinNguyen macrumors 6502a

Between this and an iPod touch it's really a no brainer. With the iPad it's a different story - Still, I think it's a really sweet tablet that will fit a great amount of people. I might buy one to use as a photography portfolio, having recently sold my iPad 2.

6. RossMc macrumors 65816

RossMc

The price will sell this thing, Certainly not an iPad killer but I can see it selling well.

7. AlvinNguyen macrumors 6502a

Very true, if anything it makes people justify having a small laptop AND a tablet - more competition = better for us! At $200 it's an INSANE price.

8. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

Just as i predicted, the reviews aren't positive. If anything they are saying, the Fire sucks as a tablet, but at $200 it's okay for surfing the net and reading a book. But don't expect much more than that.

9. Yr Blues thread starter macrumors 68020

Not bad for first at bat. Mostly software issues that can be worked out within 3-6 months.

The Fire 2 can't hide behind any excuses.

10. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

The scrolling and aesthetic performance leaves a lot to be desired, but only aesthetic whores like me will ever notice that.

11. norbiu macrumors member

from theverge.com video review

The dude has Justin Bieber on his Fire ...

12. Buildbright macrumors 6502a

Looks like the iPad is going to bend the kindle fire over and have sexy time with it...lol

Seriously it looks ok but it has all the flaws of the generic android tablets and then some. I think Amazon may turn this into a winner or it could burn them bad. This device will only be a success for Amazon if it invokes people to use it and tempt them to shop. But the clunkyness of the UI may turn people off.

I have learned something from this initial review. I will think twice before ever trusting Gizmodo or Cnet reviews. Both said the browser was slick and after watching the Engadget demo of the browser (hats off to Engadget). They are either morons or just don't care about objectivity. I expect this from Gizmodo they said the Xoom was "the future of tablets" and Said the Ipad was going to be a disspointment.

As Steve would say you can't teach Taste or Vision....Sad

13. taipan61 macrumors 6502

not a pad killer to say the least but will run interference in the 7inch market for sure and it does have a fully loaded mass market infrastructure behind it, as well as the branding of kindle and amazon.
    compare iPad to BMW and the Fire to Chevy...

looking forward to adding another Chevy to the garage...:D

14. jackc macrumors 65816

jackc

If they updated the Kindle DX, I'd probably buy it. Not interested in the Fire, but it should do OK based on price.

15. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Tim Cook hit the nail on the head sounds like

16. urkel macrumors 68030

Looks like its time to make up reasons for why casual users cant survive without a huge game library or garage band and would suffer on a consumption device that lacks GPS or a vga camera.

I bought my mom an iPad. In retrospect I would have gotten a fire and saved $300. Sure, the Fire cant do everything the iPad can but normal users dont care as much as we do.

17. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

And we need 100k apps?

18. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

It's not that anyone needs or will use 100k apps, but having that many diverse apps ensures that what you need will likely be available. You remember the slogan, "Yeah, there's an app for that!"?

Unlike with the Fire or Android-based tablets, you can be in pretty much any field and find apps for your needs. This is what helps make the iPad great.

19. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

And when the first iPhone launched do you think there were 100k apps to choose from? No.

20. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

So it's good hardware that's being held back by the train wreck that is Android. Sounds like what I was expecting. I wonder how the Nook Tablet will hold up to this? Or what $200 tablets will look like when Windows 8 comes out.

----------

How quickly people forget, 10 years ago the mac faithful were saying "It doesn't matter if there's fewer apps, all the apps you need are there, and they're generally of a high quality"

21. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

And since know one really had a concept of apps then, no one knew what they were missing. You really want to compare an original device that started this whole revolution, to one today? i wonder if you can comprehend this discussion?

22. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

You feel that $200 price tag with every swipe of your finger.- David Pogue.

23. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

Perfect quote.

Now everyone knows the Fire is a POS, time to move on. At least until the media hype the next piece of crap tablet, spouting off another iPad killer. #

24. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Who cares about the Kindle Fire? The Kindle/Touch is clearly the best eReader available. Even if the Fire flops, who cares? It's a distraction from the main event.