Some Mac mini HDD/SSD/RAM Questions

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by AltiVecG4, Dec 25, 2013.

1. AltiVecG4 macrumors newbie

Hi,

This morning I woke up to a brand new Mac mini 6,2! I must say that I was surprised when I found out that it came with 10.8.3 installed. This is with a manufacture date of October 22nd. Can I just say, what an improvement over my old Mid 2009 MacBook Pro when editing photos in Lightroom and Aperture! I have it driving my two monitors (Dell 2407WFP 1920x1200 and my Philips 170B 1280x1024) and the performance is phenomenal.

I have already ordered a stick of Crucial BallistixSport 1600Mhz CL9 RAM to upgrade from the stock 4GB. At the moment I do not think I need 16GB, but I wanted that option in the future without replacing all of the sticks twice in two stages. I noticed that this specific RAM was not listed on Crucial's page for my specific Mac. Is this ram compatible, and will i receive any problems?

I shall also definitely be adding an SSD. I have decided on the 240GB Crucial M500. I want to install this alongside the factory 1TB HDD. I need some advice on choosing the correct HDD Flex Cable. The majority of the ones I can find are for the lower bay, but this is where my factory installed HDD is. The only one for the upper bay that I can find is this:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121185275042?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Will this work fine, and more importantly, is this for the correct bay when installing the drive in the upper bay?

Many Thanks

2. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

3. AltiVecG4 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the link! I was only going to take off the fan and wifi grill and just slide the SSD in. From what I have read that is possible if you have a 7mm SSD. I was only going to purchase the cable and required screws. What I can't find any info in is what HDD Flex Cable to buy.

4. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

5. 98EXL macrumors regular

Been using that kit in my current gen mini since March '13 with a 240GB Mushkin Chronos Deluxe SSD and the stock 256GB SSD. Going to swap it out for a 1TB drive of some sort, and put the 240GB SSD into a 13" MBP I'm waiting to purchase.

That being said, install was a breeze, but I've been tinkering with computers for over 25 years....only real PITA is the power clip, but not a big deal once you get your hands on it