Some mac software wont open?!?!?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by olliestockton, Apr 11, 2008.

1. olliestockton macrumors member

Well iChat and Preview both won't open, i don't know why this is but when i spend £800 pound a bloody laptop i expect there to be no problems :mad:

What can i do to fix them? I'm not re-installing the whole laptop because i don't have a facility to back it up on.

What can i do to make these applications run?

2. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Have you installed or changed anything recently that might've caused this problem? Have you tried rebooting?

You might try trashing the preferences for both apps—they can sometimes become corrupted and lead to applications not launching or otherwise behaving badly. These are stored in:

~/Library/Preferences

Where ~/ is your user folder. They'll look like "com.apple.iChat.plist" and "com.apple.Preview.plist." Try dragging those to the Trash and see if you can launch the apps.

3. olliestockton thread starter macrumors member

I dont have either of them files :(

4. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

So the machine is new and they have never launched properly, is that what you're saying? Also, which machine is this exactly? I think you might have posted this thread in the wrong forum.

5. olliestockton thread starter macrumors member

macbook white, yes i posted in wrong forum by accident, anyway, so any other things i should try? this is the only thing wrong with my macbook and wanna get it sorted asap

6. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Mmm. Well, you might try running a repair permissions in Disk Utility, but I doubt it will fix this particular issue. Have you tried creating another user account and logging in there to see if the problem persists?

Does Preview fail to launch when opening documents, or just in general? It never appears in the Dock?