Some MacBook Pro Summer 2009 questions

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by h4rri3r, Jun 15, 2009.

1. h4rri3r macrumors member

h4rri3r

So, guys, I'm planning on getting a MacBook Pro when Snow Leopard releases so I want to ask you some questions:

1) Is the 9400M graphics card good for every day normal use/work (casual movie, audio editting, text stuff, surfing the web, using IM apps) and some gaming? Is there some big difference between it and the 9600M GT?

That's because I think that de 1800 euros model is a bit overpriced and I don't understand why Apple removed the dedicated graphics card from the MBP base model.

2) What do you guys think is better: 13" MBP or the 15"? The money they ask for the screen upgrade 15" really worth it?

At this time, I use a PC with a 15" screen with a 1280x800 resolution, and I don't know if I'm going to adapt my self to something smaller.

Thans in advance.:cool:

2. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

1) Yes, definitely. The integrated GPU is good enough for the stuff you described (it would only affect the movie editing, but the 9400M is good for casual editing).

2)I think the price for the upgrade to 15" is worth it. I can't handle a 13" because it's too small.

I would just save the extra money and go for the 15". The difference (at least for me) is

3. h4rri3r thread starter macrumors member

h4rri3r

Hmm, so if you say that 9400M and the 15" is better, I'm thinking on the base model of the MacBook Pro 2.53ghz. I don't know what Mac you have, but if you have the new ub MBP 15", is it good? Can you give your opinion about it? :)

4. Unprocessed1 macrumors 65816

Unprocessed1

I like the versatility of the 15" because it's powerful enough to be a desktop replacement and play the best games out there, yet still light for a 15" (5.5 pounds). I hated the size and weight the first day and a half, but now I think it's slim and light (coming from a year-long MBA user).

5. Nasty Roo macrumors member

I would recommend going to an apple store or any reseller and taking a look at the models in person. This will give you a good idea of whether a 13" will be too small or not.

Honestly, I think 13" is the perfect size for a laptop. Lighter and smaller, which equals more portable. I agree that the extra 2" of screen real estate is overpriced, and IMO is not worth the extra cost. If you were only thinking about getting the base model 15", it is not a great desktop replacement as someone else has mentioned. There is little difference between the 13" and base model 15".

In conclusion, I recommend you save yourself some cash and opt for the 13", as it will do everything you want it to and more. That is, if the screen size isn't a huge issue, in which case you could always use the money saved for an external monitor. :)

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I haven't found the need to switch to the 9600M yet; the more power GPU is good to have, but again I have yet to use it.

7. bhadoc macrumors newbie

The 15" is ~$800 more than the 13". For less than $400 you can get a high performance 22" or more lcd display. Viewsonic makes an awesome monitor that has a built in TV tuner...so you could use one monitor for your videogame consol (assuming you have one), your laptop, and as a television. It really depends on what you want. If you are going to be spending a ton of time in your home (be realistic) than buying a monitor probably is more cost effective.

8. h4rri3r thread starter macrumors member

h4rri3r

Hmm, one thing about that: I can put a bigger resolution using an external monitor of 13+inch?

9. h4rri3r thread starter macrumors member

h4rri3r

Oh no...

I saw somewhere that there are some rumors of new MacBooks with quad-core CPUs and new mobile graphics card. Should I get a MacBook Pro at this time? :\

10. rhodent2013 macrumors member

Well I got the 15 in. It runs The Sims 3 perfectly. I have never played a Sims game on any computer that looked this good. Also, I was worried about the size of the 15in but just today I though, "This is the perfect size." It's not heavy. It seems large at first but it is actually perfect. For me at least. I am really happy with my 15 in. I LOOOVEEE IT. If you can afford it, GET IT.

11. Unprocessed1 macrumors 65816

Unprocessed1

Totally agree about the size. Hated it at first but now love it. Sorry to say, but I've stopped using my monitor as often.

12. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

Why wait, I just got notified I get Snow Leopard free when it ships since I bought a refurb UMBP 15 2.53. Now there's no reason to wait.

Cheers,

13. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

It is impossible for this to happen until 2011. Buy when you need it.

14. Unprocessed1 macrumors 65816

Unprocessed1

You set yourself up so easily :D

15. h4rri3r thread starter macrumors member

h4rri3r

So, I'm confused... Some people say that 15" is better, other people say that 13" is better because is smaller and the screen is good... I don't know. I will keep waiting for more opinions!

16. iMacmatician macrumors 601

The $1999 model used to have, and still has, discrete graphics. I see the new cheapest MacBook Pro as a lower-priced addition to the lineup. Now since you're mentioning euros, there might have been different price changes in Portugal, if so, then I can see why you are concerned.

The Mini-Displayport supports up to 2560x1600.

But he agrees with me. :p

As for the updated GPU, the GPU gets updated about every other revision.

17. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

It's because there isn't one definitive answer, otherwise Apple would only make one laptop. It's a personal decision only you can make. Go take a look at some laptops and decide for yourself. No one here can tell you that you absolutely have to go one way or the other or that one is guaranteed to be better for you.

jW