Some Macbook Pro upgrades...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Reao, Feb 4, 2010.

1. Reao macrumors member

Here are some upgrades I made to my MacBook Pro the day after Christmas.
    Installed an Inte 80Gb SSD and removed my superdrive so I could keep my 500Gb I added last year. Overall I am happy with it and think are faster then before, but I have never ran a SSD before so I don't know if I am getting all i can out of it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Sanderr macrumors regular

Thread title got me thinking you were number 182384323423 that asks what upgrades you want in the next MBP lol.

But this looks nice. May I ask how much the 80 gb was? When I get a new MBP I want to remove the superdrive from my MB as well and install some SSD. Don't need it then anyway.

3. espressoroast macrumors member

espressoroast

Looks great.

I hope you will keep us posted on performance impressions.

And I know this might be a silly question but, what is the optimal way of putting the OS on a Superdrive-less Mac?

Image on an external disk?

4. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

Install it BEFORE you take out the superdrive ^^

5. Drudkh macrumors newbie

6. svndmvn Guest

7. iMetalG5 macrumors 6502a

how's the SSD workin for u? I love mine although it was expensive. I used tax refund $ to get it.

My bro has been using a Seagate 500GB 7200 that he is very impressed with, no probs yet. Some of his apps open faster. We did some HDD vs SSD stuff and for whatever reason his HDD beats my SSD at certain things, nothing major but still...

8. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

nice pics!

i have a 160 GB Intel x-25m g2 and a 640 GB WD Scorpio Blue that i'm waiting to install in my new mbp when it comes in today :D

does your HDD have a sms?

EDIT: i think you have your setup backwards (unless it's different in older macbook pros). i know in the current line, the stock HDD bay has a sms and this is where your sms-less scorpio blue should go. the ssd should be in the optibay since it doesn't need a sms.

here's a thread i bookmarked for reference: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=851189

9. Reao thread starter macrumors member

What I did was I rip my Snow Leopard disk before I installed the new drive then I installed it with a USB hard drive. Went fast, like 12 minutes to install Snow Leopard.

10. Reao thread starter macrumors member

It is a MCE Optibay. Here is a link to it. It was a simple in stall but a little lacking on instructions from MCE.

It also came with a external cases for my superdrive, but it kind of junk. I will post some photos of it when I get home.