Some Macbook Problems :(

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by cheese20323, Oct 27, 2012.

1. cheese20323 macrumors newbie

So I have a couple problems wrong with my macbook. Its the white unibody one a1342 and 3gb ram and 320gb hardrive. My problems are that the computer does not detect the battery it just has an X over the icon. Also, it just works off of magsafe power but i learned this trick if i were to disconnect the magsafe while its powering on it will work for a couple minutes then shut off. Another problem i am having with it is that i am trying to update it to the new OS but it says not enough space on startup disk. My magsafe is kind of broken but it still provides power may that be a problem? Thanks for any help!

2. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Well, for the first problem, have you tried removing the battery and reinstalling it? For the second problem, download iStat Pro, install it and take a screenshot of it and upload it to MacRumors.

3. chrisperro macrumors 6502

chrisperro

i recommend to do a clean install ,verify your hard drive and repair if need it before the clean install.
    for the battery and charger you probably need new ones if is the original battery.

4. cheese20323 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have tried to clean install it with the disc that came with it but I have had no luck it does not let me do it. I have replaced the battery twice.

5. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Looks like your battery & your hard drive are screwed then... Fortunately they aren't the most expensive parts to replace. $100-$200 for the hard drive and under $50 for the battery :)

6. boneskid1 macrumors member

Just a heads up if you do replace your HDD because it is bad look at getting a ssd it will give you a boost with general operations and programs.

Also a new 320gb 7200 rpm HDD is under 100 us dollars and a ssd is about 100 dollars for 120 GB which is not bad if you have an external drive to back up files to so not everything is stored on the ssd