Some Macbook Questions

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by badtzmaru, Apr 19, 2008.

1. badtzmaru macrumors 6502

I own a Mini, which I love, and now I want a notebook.

I'm learning towards the Macbook because the Pro models are too large and heavy for my taste. I own a PC laptop that is heavy and very powerful but I hate toting it around for quick trips so basically I leave it at home and use my iphone for day trips or overnighters. Doing that works most of the time but sometimes I would rather use a notebook.

Anyway, my brother just got the 2.4ghz/2GB White Macbook. I helped him set it up and I liked using it.

My questions are:

1) does the 2GB make a big deal versus 1GB in the lower model?

2) why does the black macbook cost more? One person at the apple store said the casing was better than the white. Is that true? I read the guide and couldn't find an explanation.

3) I like the Air of course for its weight but the cost is obviously higher. Should I just skip the macbook and save for the air?

2. ChazDaSpaz macrumors regular

1) Yes it does, it's rather substantial and I recommend you upgrade to 4GB but don't buy Apple RAM, you can get it a lot cheaper elsewhere and installing it yourself is easy.

2) For the colour of it, people are willing to pay more for black so they charge more. Also it has a larger hard drive.

3) Depends on what you need, can you live with MBA's compromises? Also, MacBook is cheaper and more powerful and better value.

3. fuzzielitlpanda macrumors 6502a

1. yes 2gb is a huge help, especially if you plan to run multiple apps. programs like firefox take up a huge amt. of memory for some reason, so it's nice to have a buffer zone.

2. it costs more because of the color and because of the bigger harddrive

3. i'm starting to think that the macbook air would be better suited for me as well. it really depends on your needs, but the macbook is a very powerful machine and can be upgraded. the air is limited to the components already inside. if you're interested in the macbook (white), i am selling my 2 month old 2.4ghz/4gb ram just let me know.

4. nick9191 macrumors 68040

The white discolours easily, where you rest your palms it can get kind of shiny. The keys will also become a tad dirty. The black one is better, but fingerprints show up (although just take a damp cloth to it).

Basically the black one looks a hell of a lot better.

5. bigbadnewill macrumors 6502

I'd agree with everyone, except i've heard that the b;acl Macbook gets very greasy and shiny...which people say they cannot remove. If you keep it clean it may never happen, but i think when it goes shiny there's no going back!

I have the white one, and no discolouring at all, just keep your hands clean, hehe. Also, get 4gb ram, it's a must!! :D

6. bbbensen macrumors 6502

I would say get a MBA, as thats what it seems you need.

Although it might cost more, I would say save up because you dont need one know.

7. asme macrumors regular

I would abstain from getting an Apple notebook. After using a Mini of my own (which was a damn near perfect computer) for a year and decided I needed a laptop, I was appalled at the build quality of the Macbook compared to that of the Mini.

I mean, would you be switching from an iBook I would say "go for it," but the Mini has disillusioned you.

8. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I have a BlackBook. Just keep it clean and it'll be fine. iKlear works best. I use it once a week and mine looks great. http://www.klearscreen.com/

9. ki2594 macrumors 6502a

yeah i have a whitebook which is perfectly fineee and i just use some thing called monster screen clean to keep it lookin perfect. Just take good care of it and itss all good