Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bolebent

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2011
Denmark
Randomly I get mails that is with Chinese characters, sometimes only in the overwiev, the mail when opened is with the correct characters.
This happens on my IPhone and IPad running Beta Ios 10.3.2. The same mail is ok on my Mac running Beta 10.12.5
What can I do to get rid of this anoying problem?

Bent

cswifx

Suspended
Dec 15, 2016
Randomly I get mails that is with Chinese characters, sometimes only in the overwiev, the mail when opened is with the correct characters.
This happens on my IPhone and IPad running Beta Ios 10.3.2. The same mail is ok on my Mac running Beta 10.12.5
What can I do to get rid of this anoying problem?

Bent

Could you provide screenshot(s) of the issue?

Bolebent

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2011
Denmark
IMG_0015.jpg
Here is a screenshot, whereabouts the overwiev is in Chinese but the mail is ok

Bolebent

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2011
Denmark
No. They are not Chinese at all. They are characters mail app preview feature could not deal with.
Don't worry. This is perfectly normal.
[doublepost=1493495840][/doublepost]Maybee You are right, but it looks Chinese to me.
I have received many mails from the same sender without this problem, so it is absolutely not normal.
And some mails are completly "Chinese", also from senders where I have received mails many times in plain readable text

cswifx

Suspended
Dec 15, 2016
[doublepost=1493495840][/doublepost]Maybee You are right, but it looks Chinese to me.
I have received many mails from the same sender without this problem, so it is absolutely not normal.
And some mails are completly "Chinese", also from senders where I have received mails many times in plain readable text

It is indeed Chinese characters, but they signify some kind of invalid characters or string(s) of characters that cannot be parsed properly. It could also be the font that is used to display that particular area of text.

jpn

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2003
it looks like you are missing a font set on your iOS device.
but it is not possible to tell which one from the info you provided.
the messy looking character strings do contain Chinese but also contain Korean and Symbol font sets as well.
it is not possible to tell from the info you sent which character set it is attempting to try to display.
so there is a problem on your iOS device that is preventing some Header messages from rendering correctly.
some things to consider:
1 re-set your Language priorities on your iOS device
2 make sure you have at a minimum the default set of Fonts that all iOS versions have been able to download for at least the last 2 years. it has almost all character sets you would ever need. (note: it doesn't have Burmese yet...)
3 reset device
of course it is possible that since you are using beta operating system there is a problem with not-frequently used character rendering.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.