Some MBP hardware questions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ratboy90, Jan 2, 2010.

1. ratboy90 macrumors 6502

ratboy90

I just got a MBP 13" and have some hardware questions. Is it better for me to put my MBP to sleep when I'm not using it during the day? Also what's better when I'm not using it? Should I leave the screen open or close it? I also want to use my MBP partly as a desktop computer. What stand is the best if I want to use the trackpad and normal keyboard or should I just buy a separate keyboard and mouse for use with a stand?

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

If the alternative is shutting down? I don't think it matters much. I drain my battery once a week.

I leave mine open.

I'm not sure what you are suggesting, the screen would get in the way of an external monitor. I like using an external keyboard and mouse? If you aren't using an external monitor...then I'm not sure what you are getting at.

3. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

Most people put there computer to sleep when they're not using it. I usually just shut the lid on my MBP and that'll put it to sleep. I rarely turn my MBP off.

I would say that the mStand is the best stand for the MBP and certainly one of the more popular ones.

4. tkboss88 macrumors member

i turn my computer off when im not going to use it for another hour. shutting down takes 2 seconds... literally booting up takes about 30. not much time considering you are saving electricity and your battery cycles =D

i always close my lid when i'm not using my computer. just so that if there was some kind of horrible disaster and my computer fell to the floor, the chances of it breaking from the fall lessen LOL

if you want to use it as a desktop, it would make more sense for you to buy an external mouse and keyboard while hooked up to a monitor. if you were to have your computer in front of you just to use the keyboard, you might as well just use it as a laptop instead of a desktop.

5. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

Ditto. I have an external monitor attached to mine and also an external wired Apple keyboard. I use the touchpad on my MBP and the external keyboard as my input devices. Once I'm done, I'll close the lid and turn the external monitor off. Other than that, I hardly ever turn the MBP off. I love the way it works. :)

6. ratboy90 thread starter macrumors 6502

ratboy90

I want to use a stand without an external monitor. and i'm looking for a good stand where I can just elevate my mbp so i don't have to look down all the time. then my second question was if it makes more sense to get a separate keyboard and mouse(for the stand) or if i could just put it on a stand and use it with the mbp keyboard and trackpad. although now i'm starting to think that it might be a little high up to do that.

7. Dozerrox macrumors 6502

You'll need a keyboard and mouse.