Some more Q's on Jailbreaking..

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by blueprint1983, Feb 2, 2011.

1. blueprint1983 macrumors 6502

Will there be automatic updates for the OS via iTunes or will I have to do it manually? Also, same question for the apps.

Will all my previously purchased apps transfer over?

Want to currently just use it for the tethering - is it worth it?

What is the most stable, and easiest foolproof jailbreak software to execute it on a Mac?

I'm on OSX Snow Leopard with an iPhone 4.

(I did a search but the relevant results were outdated responses)

2. lucifiel macrumors 6502a

lucifiel

Almost all the answers to your questions don't go 'out of date'.

I have no idea what you mean about iOS updates. As for apps, they function as if you didn't jailbreak. So yes, they will update.

Jailbreaking is free. So I don't know how it's not worth it. You will have to shell out $20 for MyWi, or use that comcenter hack (free)though, depending on your needs.

Depends on your iOS version. iOS 4.2.1 is a tethered jailbreak but redsn0w. iOS 4.1 probably limera1n or greenpois0n, both are the same. iOS 4.0.x can be dealt with redsn0w again I suppose. Someone else can clarify this/

3. Rajani Isa macrumors 65816

Rajani Isa

The regular iOS updates to the phone will remove the jailbreak.

4. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

You should also ask yourself some questions.
    -Do you have to have the latest iOS the minute it comes out?
    -Are you bad at following instructions? Bad with technology?
    -Are you lazy and don't bother to google/research your problems or questions?

From your questions, I can already tell the last question applies to you. Your first two questions about iTunes are ones you can find out for yourself.
    If the other two questions apply to you too, jb is not for you. It may be months before you can jb the latest iOS. You can not simply upgrade without consequence. If you need to unlock, you have to wait even longer as many can attest to. If you can't keep up with the conversations on the latest jb and learn on your own, jb is going to be harder for you.
    There is no such thing as a stable, easy, foolproof jb. I like to use Pwnage because I can update my iOS without killing my unlockability. However, there are people who say it's too complicated to use. Sometimes, there's only one jb available.

5. blueprint1983 thread starter macrumors 6502

I searched MRoogle for this and the most recent thread pertaining to my question was from 2007, which by all accounts would be classified as outdated, software changes - and jailbreaking should reflect that, I don't know how relevant information from 2007 would be when I'm not using the same hardware or software version.

6. lucifiel macrumors 6502a

lucifiel

Well I am now telling you, that a lot of the stuff you asked, (and I concede that you had no way of knowing this) has remained constant since iOS 2.x.x

For example, for EVERY version of iOS and it's JB counterpart, if you updated through iTunes you lost your JB and you could still sync your apps through iTunes. All updates to iOS had to be reJB'd. This is the nature of a JB, thus it remains constant no matter the device or iOS.

The only major changes that has really affected the JB community largely concerns the SHSH blobs, TU, and restoring. Of course there's also the issue of specific exploits for every revision of iOS, but that's hardly relevant for our discussions.