Some negative things after using the Apple Watch for 3 days

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by petvas, May 23, 2015.

1. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

I own an Apple Watch since last Thursday and overall I like it, but I have seen some things that could be better/improved in the future:
    • 3rd Party apps: They are slow, even after the 1.0.1 update. Currently, it doesn't really make any sense to install apps on the Watch.
    • Calendar: If you are not using iCloud for calendar, then there is no option to Route to the address of the appointment currently open. It's not the end of the world, but why Apple? I am not going to leave my Exchange account..
    • Mail: Currently you can select only one folder to show notifications. Why not select multiple folders? Also, the unread and marked virtual mailboxes apply only to items saved in the Inbox. I am using multiple folders and have rules to automatically move mails to their respective folders..Currently I cannot say that this feature helps me at all. I don't even have high hopes that Apple will change that. It has been exactly like that in iOS too, for at least three years (the unread and marked mailboxes)
    • Sometimes when for example tapping to save an activity, I notice a small lag. In general the whole UI could be snappier.
    • Glances update slow and sometimes they just don't provide an at a glance information..
    • Watch faces are not offering a lot of options and could be much better. I expect Apple to deliver many updates in the near future.
    • Sometimes I get notifications for a mail or iMessage, even after responding to it on one of my Macs..This should never happen.
    • I would like to have the ability to customize the communications button and remap it to another function.
    • Hey Siri works around 30% of the time for me. Siri works much better by just pressing the digital crown..

Apart from these things I like the Apple Watch. I am not sure yet if I will keep it though.

2. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Many of the issues you mentioned will be improved upon in future updates, but at least it's not as buggy as iOS 7.0 or 8.0 out of the box.

Some issues are actually the same as iPhone and just not possible at this time. For example, you get iMessages separately on Mac and iPhone and will need to manage them separately. If it's not doable in iPhone it won't be on Watch. They will probably streamline iMessages across all devices in a future OS.

3. petvas thread starter macrumors 601

petvas

Yes, I agree. All iPhone issues automatically translate to the Apple Watch too, as it is actually only an intelligent display for an iPhone.

4. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

Interesting feedback. I'd think third party apps will improve over time

5. exxxviii macrumors 65816

exxxviii

Well, these are a couple bummers. Apple has always been way behind in email and calendaring. It took them forever before you could send or accept a meeting invite from iOS.

The support for only iCloud calendars is pretty much useless. I use iCloud for personal calendaring, but I live off of two Exchange accounts for professional calendaring. Exchange is pretty much the standard for business email and calendar, so that is essential. Without Exchange support, the calendar notification is just a novelty toy.

The mail folder thing is also frustrating. Will it handle multiple accounts, but just the inbox in each one? Or is it just one inbox folder for one account? (I have the same complaint with email folder notification limitations as well on my iPhone.)

This will not change my mind about keeping it. But it diminishes its benefit substantially.

6. petvas thread starter macrumors 601

petvas

Exchange Calendar items are being displayed correctly. This is not the issue. When using iCloud calendar though and if you tap to open a calendar item, you get to route to the location if you force touch. This routing option is not available when using Exchange calendar. I have found a workaround though: Use Week Cal. It doesn't care about where your calendar items are stored and it gives you a route option.

As for Mail, you can choose only a folder, physical or logical it doesn't matter.