Some Networking Assistance/Best way to do this.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by kgarchar, Oct 29, 2007.

1. kgarchar macrumors 6502

So, I've got a few things I'd like to do with all of my mac stuff

Right now, here's my setup

I've got my MacBook Pro 2.16 with 2GB ram and a 120GB HD as my main computer, I have a nice little Mac Mini 1.66 CD with 512 MB ram as my media center, and then my girlfriend has a 1.33 iBook with 1.5 GB ram. We're getting a place together pretty soon, and I want to figure out how I should do my iTunes and Movies and everything setup. I'd was thinking of having my main iTunes library with all of my music and movies on my mac mini, but networking it so I can use iTunes (any files I add to iTunes get thrown over onto the mini) on my MacBook Pro. I also Have a 250GB external Hard Drive.

I'd like to use my EXT HD for time machine also though. Is there any way I can have my EXT HD backing up stuff on time machine, and set my (not through itunes sharing) iTunes folder on the EXT HD as well?

2. rmh macrumors regular

I can answer that part with an affirmative.

3. mmendoza27 macrumors 6502

Yeah, just put the music on your external hard drive. That's what I do with my library, I have 59 GB of music on my external. I've imported them using the "Add to Library" in iTunes. You also want to go to preferences and then the Advanced tab. Make sure that the iTunes Music Folder location is pointing to your external hard drive.

You will need an internet connection to listen to your music though and try not to open iTunes outside your home network.