Some new minor MacBook Air quirks

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by iomatic, Nov 12, 2008.

1. iomatic macrumors regular

80% of the time, I'm happy. 1.86GHz, 128GB SSD

Here are my issues so far:

-Safari is my biggest issue. It seems pages don't load fully (images are broken), on different networks, and links stop working correctly; command-clicking to open a link in a tab opens an untitled tab. I'll try and kill the Safari prefs later.

-Wireless connectivity is hit and miss at home, even set in order to connect first. At work, it connects immediately, so I wonder if it's an Airport issue. Never had problems with the MacBook Pro.

Not bad, but these annoyances are there. Everything else is perfect. Lightweight, bright screen, great keyboard; fast Parallels 4, productive for working, four-finger swipe, etc. quiet; as a laptop in bed reviewing pages, watching some video-- no heat on the level of the MBP at all ! (still with Flash 9, just upgraded to 10) No other issues. Other than costing over $2000... ahem

Any help with Safari issues would be appreciated.

2. keewee macrumors newbie

3. Barham macrumors regular

I would suggest Webkit.org. The nightly builds are basically like having the next version of Safari months before it comes out. To date, I have had fewer crashes and more reliable page loads with Webkit than I ever had with regular Safari.

4. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

Aside from the months-old bug where Webkit freezes the entire laptop (mouse and keyboard unresponsive) when you wake from sleep. Only solution is hard restart.

5. Barham macrumors regular

I've never had that bug, and I use multiple laptops and an iMac (all of which are running Webkit exclusively).

6. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

if you have an ADC account, download safari 4. wickedly fast!

7. iomatic thread starter macrumors regular

Never seen this problem before; I hope my install of OS X from the factory wasn't somehow wonky...

Links don't work, pictures don't load... WTF?

Sometimes requires quitting Safari.

Could this be a proxy issue? I thought I had this problem at home though.

FGD

Attached Files:

8. mlemonds macrumors 6502a

mlemonds

i do not think that is your computer.

my Alu MacBook was doing the same thing when i was at some hotel last week. such a p:sser

9. glitch44 macrumors 65816

some things to try:

fully update OS X
    fully update your Airport
    change the channel on your airport
    try firefox to see if the error is replicated

10. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

I use Firefox, I find that Safari has problems loading a lot of web pages.

As the other poster suggested make sure you have all the updates installed on both the Airport and the MBA.

11. MacMT macrumors newbie

MacMT

I have had this page loading issue on a very few pages in Safari 3. I have never had it using Firefox. Little bug in there somewhere... Harkens back to the "browser not supported" days.

12. iomatic thread starter macrumors regular

seems more probable it's a work proxy issue-- I had the CSS not load well at Engadget just now at home (Airport), but so far, Macrumors forums (and others) gave me problems that don't yet appear here now.

13. uelef macrumors member

uelef

Maybe the today released update to Safari 3.2 helps you solving your problem… Did it?

14. iomatic thread starter macrumors regular

will check and report back. Also having Parallels setup issues over Airport to a Win domain... but i'll save that one for later...

15. iomatic thread starter macrumors regular

Nope. Didn't fix it. oh well, I guess I'll use Firefox.

Here's an example of Firefox on the left, and what Safari does on the right. No links then work, nor does typing a URL, nor opening a new window; Safari must be restarted to work again. I wonder if somehow WebKit is damaged?

Attached Files:

16. DHagan4755 macrumors 6502a

DHagan4755

Did you try going to the application menu, and choosing Reset Safari?

Attached Files:

17. iomatic thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, all of it; caches, prefs, IPv6, etc.... I think it is our work proxy, but it's weird that Safari would exhibit an issue that requires it to be restarted --tabs don't work, typing URLs, etc.

Here at home, no problems.