some newbie iPad-iTunes questions...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by JimTDI, Nov 12, 2010.

1. JimTDI macrumors newbie

Hi All!

I'm a newbie to both this forum, and to my iPad (had for about 5 weeks now, and love it!)

With the impending release of iOS 4.2, I realized I have no idea how to upgrade the OS on my iPad. Does the update download to my iPad, or to iTunes on my PC (or do I go to Apple's site and download the new iOS), and then get synced across to the iPad? I downloaded and installed iTunes about 5 weeks back so I could setup my new iPad (had to spin up an XP box since there's no Linux version of iTunes, and I don't have a Mac (told you I was an Apple newbie!!) I have read here I need iTunes 10.1 to install iOS 4.2, I currently have iTunes v10.0.1.22, does iTunes auto-update it's version, or will I need to download and reinstall (fresh install) iTunes on XP??

Maybe there is a thread someone could direct me too that explains all of this?

Is it better to clean install the iOS, and then reinstall all of my apps? Most of my apps are FREE ones, so I don't mind installing them again, but I bought a couple (Atomic browser, and Wyse PocketCloud) and I'd not like to buy them again if I do a clean install.

Thank you all for any help or advice you can offer a newbie... :)

2. melman101 macrumors 68030

Awesome, congrats and enjoy!

You download the update on iTunes on your computer, and then it gets installed onto the iPad via USB.

You'll need to update iTunes only to sync to iPad 4.2 (which is essentially a reinstall from what I've seen). You do not need to have iTunes 10.1 to install iOS 4.2. Also, iTunes probably installed Apple Software Update so you can use that to update or you can use the website to re-download it.

Possibly but I don't know of one off hand.

That's really up to you. I usually do an update and have zero problems. If you experience problems after an update, you can always do a restore which is not a big deal except that if you do a restore and don't restore from backup all your settings, program data and such does not come over.

Lastly, once you own an app, you sync to iTunes and iTunes keeps the app there. Even if you somehow lose the app, you'll be able to re-download them for free. They are linked to your iTunes account.

Hope this helps!

3. Saberon macrumors 6502a

Hi

I'd be happy to help you out with your questions.

iTunes 10.0.1 is the newest version at this moment, you will need iTunes 10.1 to fully be compatible with iOS 4.2 on your iPad. iTunes 10.1 will be released any day. When it is, download it, and install it and it will upgrade your iTunes to the newest version. No need to remove the old version of iTunes first before putting the new one on.

Once iTunes 10.1 is on, plug in your iPad and open iTunes. Click on your iPad from the menu on the left and click "Check for updates". The update will find iOS 4.2 (when it's actually released of course) and will ask you if you want to install it on your iPad. Basically you just have to click "next" a few times and it will start downloading the iOS 4.2. Sit back and relax and in a short while you'll be fully upgraded.

Even if you do a "clean install" of iOS, iTunes will put all your music/videos/apps back on your iPad. You never lose any apps as long as they are stored in iTunes.

If you have any more questions feel free to ask.

4. JimTDI thread starter macrumors newbie