Some observations, good and bad, about the new MacBook.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jackoatmon, Dec 3, 2016.

1. jackoatmon, Dec 3, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2016

jackoatmon macrumors 6502a

jackoatmon

I've been messing with this 2.6/1tb/460 for a couple days.

My observations, unfettered:

- I haven't had any of the GPU or screen discolouration issues.

- This is very personal, but I love the keyboard. I have had carpal tunnel issues for many years and the low profile of the keys, the nice soft clicking and the easy travel is a huge improvement over any other keyboard Apple has produced. Logitech still makes way better keyboards for people with wrist injuries (the best, for my money), but this is the best laptop keyboard I've ever used. However, there's just one big rub about using it:

- I hate the huge trackpad so much. Hands down (pardon the pun) the worst thing about this machine. It's the one thing that has me wondering if I can really use this as my main machine. As far as I can tell my palms mustn't have the shape it's programmed to reject, because every single even minor brush causes the cursor to fly around, leaving me typing at an unnatural angle constantly to avoid it. It's just way too big. It gets in the way of everything, even Touch Bar use, since your palm can brush it when reaching up. Total garbage, and I really hope there's some software fixing incoming.

- iTunes is slow as molasses. Patently unusable. Beach ball with every click. No idea if that's my machine, something about the size of my music collection (gigantic), or what, but it's a no-go so I'm looking for a better player.

- Performance in heavy visual art tasks is absolutely astonishing. Amazing. Futuristic and actually kinda hard to believe. This machine is at least as fast as any other computer I've ever used in FCPX, Ai, Ps and Id, except it makes sooooo much less noise and heat under load. It's a dream. The SSD, the hardware acceleration, everything – Apple has absolutely nailed the performance-to-TDP ratio thing in a way I honestly figured was many years away.

- Touch bar is so buggy. It's just constantly glitching out graphically. Boxes overlapping and sliding out of place and stuff. The UX of it is an indecipherable mess, the same icon gets used in different places for different things. I haven't gotten it to do any of the fun stuff in Ps we saw in the keynote. It doesn't seem to work in CC for me yet. I just don't use it at all, except in one very important and ultra useful context: as a timeline resizing tool in FCPX. Huuuuge timesaver there. So much less clicking around. FCPX is the only app that it seems to work properly and make sense in. Anyways: touch bar; not even a beta product; still in alpha development; why the hell is this in the market for the general public? I know it's only been out for a few weeks, but FFS, Apple, did anyone over there do any real-world testing with this before it hit the market?!

- The Thunderbolt 3 ports are great. I put one cord in from my HooToo hub at my desk and suddenly my lappy turns into a full workstation with a million peripherals and a huge second screen. The TB3 haters will come around I think. It's just so slick. I don't have kids or a dog, so MagSafe has never been anything but an inconvenience for me though (stay plugged in, darn thing!), so that's an issue some may never get past.

- The design is amazing. The size and shape and build quality is super high end. It just feels like an indestructible brick from the future. It's so dense and cool. The grey is also a much better colour for a laptop than silver. It gets out of the way, and focuses your attention on the INCREDIBLE screen, which brings me to the best thing about this laptop:

- INCREDIBLE SCREEN. The colour gamut is gaaaahhhhhhhhh so nice for a laptop. Unreal.

- Conclusion: lots of wacky issues, most of which could potentially be resolved with updates (?), but in spite of the general jankiness, it's overall by far the best laptop I've ever used.

2. Altis macrumors 68020

For the trackpad, one solution is to buy a skin cover and exacto trim it down to size to cover the part of the trackpad you don't want to use.

Might not be the prettiest but it would solve the problem.

iTunes has been slow since we left version 10, sadly.

3. thesaint024 macrumors 6502a

thesaint024

I saw your title and thought "oh no, here we go", troll bait. But I agree with you on a lot of your observations:

iTunes blows: it's the most un-Apple like experience I know. So hard to use, clunky, inefficient. Uses power for me when I'm playing music off the NAS.

As far as the trackpad, I'm finding it better than expected. Palm rejection works great for me. One thing that helped is turning off the tap to click option. I had a couple of mis-clicks with my palm and just turned it off. I love the taptic engine anyway, so the "click to click" is preferred for me anyway.

Sierra needs to be optimized for power and the tb does need more functionality. But overall, I'm finding it's helpful more than not just because I customized a lock button on it. In conjunction with the touchID, my lock/unlocks are super convenient.

Everything else exceeds my expectations. Especially the usb-c and the flexible connectivity.

4. chabig macrumors 68040

I think that a lot of people who report problems with trackpad palm rejection never learned to type correctly. Your wrists should be up in the air and straight while you're typing. The palms aren't near the trackpad.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. thesaint024 macrumors 6502a

thesaint024

Haha. That is a very Jobs-esque answer, like "you're holding the phone wrong." But although you are technically correct on proper typing technique, people still inevitably rest their palms, especially after long hours on a laptop.

6. chabig macrumors 68040

I know it's very common, unfortunately.

7. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    To the OP: You need to correct the title of this thread so that it accurately reflects the content -- you're discussing the new MacBook PRO, not the "new MacBook." There IS a difference..... The MacBook is an entirely different machine than the MacBook Pro. Your thread title should say "MacBook Pro," not "MacBook."

8. Brookzy macrumors 601

Brookzy

I don't think anyone's in confusion about which MacBook this thread is referring to, especially considering it's in the Pro forum. And I would argue all MacBook Pros are still 'MacBooks' (and that therefore the 2016 MacBook Pro is "the new MacBook"), just not all MacBooks are MacBook Pros.

I've tried so hard over the years to re-train myself to type in the correct position but I can't help but rest my palms slightly. It's terrible ergonomically I know. But then again I type totally 'wrong' compared to the proper touch typing method and it's certainly not slowed me down. I'm lucky Apple caters for us sloppy typists otherwise the trackpad would be a nightmare! :p