Some odd emails... am I infected?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by JustOneQuickONe, Oct 15, 2011.

1. JustOneQuickONe macrumors 6502

So checking one of my "junk" email addresses (gmail account used for whenever I have to sign up to use a service/website) this morning I was going through and just scrolling down the list so that all the email would be "read" and my email client would stop bothering me. I came across an email written in spanish with the title of "virus encontrado em mensagem enviada "Tax return". Now I know a little spanish, but this makes no sense to me. The rest of the email reads

Um virus foi encontrado numa mensagem de Email que acabou de
    ser enviada por voce.
    Este scanner de Email a interceptou e impediu a mensagem de chegar
    no seu destino.

O virus foi reportado como sendo:

Heuristics.Phishing.Email.SpoofedDomain

Por favor atualize seu antivirus ou contate o seu suporte tecnico
    o mais rapido possivel pois voce tem um virus no seu computador.

Sua mensagem foi enviada com o seguinte envelope:

REMETENTE: ------------------
    DESTINATARIO: jdas(at)catalao.com.br

... e com o seguinte cabecalho:

With some more sent/received/mailing info at the bottom

About an hour later I received an email from mailer-daemon(at)googlemail.com saying: We're writing to let you know that the group you tried to contact (nms_cgo) may not exist, or you may not have permission to post messages to the group. A few more details on why you weren't able to post:

* You might have spelled or formatted the group name incorrectly.
    * The owner of the group may have removed this group.
    * You may need to join the group before receiving permission to post.
    * This group may not be open to posting.

If you have questions related to this or any other Google Group, visit the Help Center at (http)://www.google.com/support/a/nmsi.org/bin/static.py?hl=xx-piglatin&page=groups.cs.

Thanks,

nmsi.org admins

But, I have not sent an email from this account since 10/1/2011. Both of these messages were received on the 13th.
    Do I have some sort of virus now?
    If the email is compromised, ie they are spoofing using my email address that's not a huge[U/] deal for me, as it's not that important of an email address, but I want to make sure that my computer isn't at risk/is not infected with a virus. I usually try not to open these types of emails, but when I was going through them this morning I wasn't paying attention, and since I have a preview pane in Thunderbird it was technically opened.

I am running Mac OS 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard) on a 2009 Macbook Pro. I went in and checked my bank account along with some other stuff in the past few days (before opening the email) so I want to make sure those accounts are still secure and not at risk as well, but don't want to log into them and potentially give up my passwords. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry for the long explanation
    email addresses and link not in proper form because I changed them so they couldn't be clickable

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There's your first clue. Don't believe everything you read, especially from spammers. Macs are not immune to malware, but no true viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any since it was released 10 years ago. The only malware in the wild that can affect Mac OS X is a handful of trojans, which can be easily avoided with some basic education, common sense and care in what software you install. Also, Mac OS X Snow Leopard and Lion have anti-malware protection built in, further reducing the need for 3rd party antivirus apps.
    It's possible someone spoofed your email address or hacked your password. Make sure your email password(s) are set to something complex, using upper and lower case letters, numbers and special characters.

3. JustOneQuickONe thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the quick response! That's very reassuring. My email passwords are pretty strong, they're pretty long and contain a variety of different character types so I'm not sure how they would have been hacked, but either way, luckily it's not an important address for me. In reference to the emails, especially the first, is this just a fishing email then? I thought it was odd I received it, then shortly after got the google one. I understand the google one is evidence of that email address possibly being compromised and maybe being used for spoofing, but no idea what's up with the first email. Usually the emails I get to this address are adds/promotions/etc. I've never had anything like this show up.