Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BrianVarick

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 9, 2006
When I open some of my AVI files in quicktime, they say they're missing a component, and when I click on the link, it takes me to a list on the apple site with lots of different components. The video plays fine, it's just the audio, does anyone know what I'm doing wrong, or which of these I should download?

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
I've had that same problem lately. (a few times anyway) Stupid quicktime codecs.

I know you can use VLC but goddamnit maybe I want QT to just open it properly. (QT is nice for the "trim to selection" tool and export to frames)

Anyway, I too would love a solution to this.

VoodooDaddy

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2003
Have you guys having problems upgraded to iLife08 by chance? Ive been having some trouble with different movie files myself in QT and wondering its its related. Prior to the upgrade I never had a problem. But now Im getting some that wont play audio, some that will play audio but no video, and then some that are just kind of choppy. Yes, I too have VLC, but would prefer QT to handle everything.

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
Have you guys having problems upgraded to iLife08 by chance? Ive been having some trouble with different movie files myself in QT and wondering its its related. Prior to the upgrade I never had a problem. But now Im getting some that wont play audio, some that will play audio but no video, and then some that are just kind of choppy. Yes, I too have VLC, but would prefer QT to handle everything.
No, had the problem prior to the iLife update.

Flyers1718

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2007
I had this same problem and believe I found the solution. In VLC on the top bar,click audio. Then tracks and put it on track 2. Thats what would happen to me it would be on track one and some of my files the sound was on track two.

Hope it helps.

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
I had this same problem and believe I found the solution. In VLC on the top bar,click audio. Then tracks and put it on track 2. Thats what would happen to me it would be on track one and some of my files the sound was on track two.

Hope it helps.
except VLC is not the app in reference. I'd like it to work in Quicktime.

kinesin

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2006
Do you have the A52Codec Universal.dmg installed?

Certain divx's and rips use the soundsound audio codec mpga (iirc) and this is needed.
VLC's show file info will point out what audio codec it's needs.

Much Ado

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2006
UK
Please bear in mind that .AVI is just a wrapper that goes around all sorts of clunky, different files of varying descriptions. They are pretty notoriously low-quality and often don't work quite right in specific apps.

Fawzi

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2006
It works !

Thank you so much !

I was having the exact same problem. Quicktime couldn't play the sound of only some AVI files.

This fixed it !

I found the A52 codec here : http://trac.cod3r.com/a52codec/

Now I can play all of my AVI files through FrontRow !

Thanks again.:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.