Some of my time machine backups have disappeared

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Pagemakers, Dec 4, 2013.

1. Pagemakers macrumors 68000

Pagemakers

The timeline on my time machine went back to mid 2012.

Now, it only goes back to Oct 2013.

I have never had any errors or failures - nor has the disk filled up.

I have a 2TB disk that is showing 31GB free. I could understand that IF all the backups were there to 2012 but not if it only contains backups from 2 months ago. With only 2 months of backups I would expect 80% of the 2TB to be free.

If I look at the backups folder on the drive it contains several folders but they only date back to Oct 2013 too.

Why have the remainder of my backups gone and why can’t I see them?

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Try following this guide to reset Time Machine. You will not lose your backups by doing this.

3. Pagemakers thread starter macrumors 68000

Pagemakers

Thank you. Just tried it twice and still the same. Only 2 months of backups and showing 31GB available from a 2TB drive.

4. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Are you running Windows in a virtual machine? If so make sure you don't backup the image in TM.

5. Pagemakers thread starter macrumors 68000

Pagemakers

6. KoolAid-Drink macrumors 65816

Check your exclusions list again. It possibly could've been removed. Download Grand Perspective and see what's taking up a lot of space on your main HD, it's possible there could be a file or two that's taking up more space than expected.

That said, go to your Time Machine hard drive source (in Finder - NOT in the 'starfield' UI) and check the dates - enter Backups.backupdb, pick the computer name, then look at the folders - do they go past Oct 2013? Examine that as well.

7. Pagemakers thread starter macrumors 68000

Pagemakers

Just checked the exclusions and it’s as it has always been. The dates I’ve checked in finder and they correspond to the time machine.

The computer in question is an iMac and we use it as a music and video server for ATV.

In the past 3 months I've probably added 3 albums and 10 movies. Apart from that it just sits in the corner of the room with the screen off, so the data on it never changes much.

I find it hard to believe that I could have 2 years of backups on the drive and now suddenly I have 2 months taking up the same space, when nothing has really been added to the machine of any significance.