Some of the dumbest questions ever asked (probably?)

Discussion in 'Design and Graphics' started by mariotheotaku, Apr 17, 2008.

1. mariotheotaku macrumors regular

Hello, I am about to start a web & graphics design program in college and I am getting an awesome MBP soon :D

But I was wondering for future references for those who have applied to web & graphics design jobs, what are the things you should bring to the job interview? I know I have to bring a portfolio with some of my best work (but how much? I know quality over quantity, how should it be presented?) and proper attire (suit, tie?) but should I bring my MBP computer with me in a bag for the interview? because if it's required I want to know where I can get a bag (horizontally preferred) that looks semi-proffesional to proffesional where I can keep my accesories and portfolio (I don't want to come in with a backpack that looks like I just came from high school, lol).

What are the things employeers look for in you? software knowledge? work experience?

This is for people who are hired in web & graphics design jobs: do most employeers want you to have more experience with MAC OS X programs or Windows Programs, since I plan to Boot Camp my MBP with Vista (college required) so I want to be prepared to know the best of both worlds (will that be an advantage?)

What sort of programs are you involved when working in web & graphics design?

If I left any other important things, let me know, I know this is very dumb to ask but just want to know ahead of time.

thanks in advance

2. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

1. You are right, quality over quantity. I'd suggest a 8 - 12 page portfolio with your best work, plus a couple of examples of your printed work. Nobody is going to look through all your stuff if you bring/send too much. I'd also suggest a homepage or an online portfolio, if you send your stuff to agencies it is way better to just send a link than a pdf with a couple of mbs.

2. No need to wear a suit and a tie. In fact I have never seen a graphic designer running around in a suit and a tie in his daily job. Rather wear something fashionable and trendy, maybe something that shows you are creative.

3. You can bring your mbp, if it won't be useful it won't do any harm either. If someone is really interested you can show more things on your computer, and if not, well, it's not that heavy.

4. Can't really help you with the bag, just get some black one, don't they sell these at apple stores anyway? Oh, and don't say anything against backpacks, I found a very cool looking one I always carry my stuff with, because if I carry my computer, A6 tablet & some other material around the whole day this is the only way nothing hurts in the evening. :)

5. It's always different what the employeers want. I'd say design skills, ideas, flexibility and work experience are the most important things. Software knowledge is taken for granted. Most agencies work with macs in their graphics department, but it certainly won't hurt to know both systems.

3. geekgirl macrumors regular

Actually, during an interview, always ere on the side of caution and wear a suit and tie, or at the very least, dress pants, long sleeve dress shirt and tie. This is a show of respect for the interviewers/company. Yes, day-to-day dress will probaly be more causal, but your portfolio should show how creative you can be, not necessarily your dress. Feel free to add fashionable and trendy details to your apparel for the interview, but honoring the basics of appropriate interview attire shows you are taking the interview seriously.

It would help, too, to get an idea of what the company is like before deciding what to where. Depending on the company, all of what I just wrote may not apply. :D

4. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

I disagree. For a first interview, being overdressed is far better than being underdressed. Wearing a suit/tie will show you are serious about the job and ready to be a "grownup" (as opposed to a college kid).

You can bring the computer, but it would probably be a waste. If they really want to see something on the computer, they'd probably prefer to use their own, since that's what you'd be using if you worked there, anyway.

5. LeviG macrumors 65816

theres also being too overdressed - I'd say it depends on the company, if you can find out a little about them first, are they a laid back company or one which is suited and booted etc. I would say its always best to dress a little bit smarter than the company but not so much as to be out of place so to speak.
    If its a casual place I would probably go in trousers and shirt, sort of smart casual, so no tie or anything but as I said it depends on the company.

6. jng macrumors 65816

jng

Ditto that. You can be a designer at a large multinational corporation and so the suit would be a proper. At a small start up? Jeans and flip-flops might rock.

But honestly you're just starting school, I don't think these questions are proper yet.

As for a bag, seriously, don't think too much. Any bag that protects your MBP is fine. Just use your head.

As for what people look for? For me, it's been work experience. It has to be, since I have a liberal arts degree that has nothing to do with technology. But I think it depends on where you are. Here in Germany, they sometimes do want CS degrees.

7. mariotheotaku thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for all of the replies guys, really appreciate it :D

8. Dobiewonkanobie macrumors regular

There are no dumb questions. Just dumb answers.

9. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

Very true. It definitely depends on the company, but that can be difficult to discern based solely on a website or even the industry the company is in. Take my job, for instance. I work at a very small, very laid-back arts organization. Everyone dresses very casually (not flip-flops, but close) on a daily basis. Everyone, that is, except my boss and his boss (the president of the company). They both wear suits or at least ties every day, even though they don't expect anyone else to do the same and would have a mutiny on their hands if they did.

If I had shown up at my interview dressed the way I dress for a generic workday, I most likely would not have gotten the job. But because I wore a suit and tie, I think it impressed him a little. It wasn't what got me the job, obviously, but I think it helped make a good second impression (the resume being the first).

Just something for the OP to think about for the next four years.

10. jdl8422 macrumors 6502

jdl8422

As far as your portfolio goes, I have had professors tell me that your portfolio content should always be adjusted depending on the company your are interviewing with. Luckily with websites today, companies have their portfolios on their sites so you can get a feel for their work. Personally I have kept my portfolio the same every interview and it has worked out well. It is a good idea to start strong and end strong while having the less strong pieces in the middle. Also, its a good idea to send a thank you letter after you interview.

11. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

12. inkhead macrumors regular

Never ever wear a tie especially if you are young. It's how we spot the people without self confidence. Always airing on the side of caution and never making a freaking decision.

13. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

Who is "we" and how did they come to this bizarre notion that there is a direct (or any, for that matter) correlation between a person's neck accessory and his personality traits and decision-making abilities? And what kind of person gives that kind of blanket, ludicrous advice?

14. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

Always dress to impress, with that said it doesn't always mean suit and tie but professional clothing for the position. Presenting well will always give a prospective employer an idea if you are serious and hardworking.

Perception does define reality in the job hunt.

15. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

You are just as likely to look like a tight ass thats no fun or look like an irresponsible hippy depending on how you dress. It totally depends on the people who work there so really it doesnt matter what you wear unless youre psychic. Proof of that is in the different responses in this thread, you cant please everyone so dont worry about it. I cant imagine going to a graphic design interview wearing a black suit and tie, suit and ties to me give off a vibe that the person is another "suit" whos soul purpose is to screw your creativity in favor of something horribly tasteless and commercial. Of course you may be interviewing with a "suit" who feels that you would agree with them unlike all the other hippy designers that always want to argue artistic points. Some bosses discuss potential employees with the current employees after youve run the rounds and met everyone, you may have to impress those people too since theyll be judging you based on if they want to work with you or not, depending on their age they might be more inclined to work with someone who has fashion sense or how snappy and conservative their dress is.

There is no right answer for how to dress, different people will be turned on or off based on stylish dress or conservative dress. I think a safe middle ground that would please most would be expensive jeans + vintage blazer, something like this http://cn1.kaboodle.com/hi/img/2/0/0/10/b/AAAAAuWspoYAAAAAABC4jg.jpg

16. mariotheotaku thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for all of the replies guy. I also have a non-related question. I plan to run Windows Vista on my MBP, would you recommend VMware, parallels or Boot Camp? I plan to run CS3 and some other programs of that nature for college related stuff. My specs are 2.5ghz, 512vRam, 4gb Ram. what would you recommend?

17. creator2456 macrumors 68000

creator2456

Is CS3 going to be run on Windows or OS X?

Whichever it is, I say go with just Boot Camp to start to see if having to reboot to switch OSs makes since for what you are doing.

18. Z.Beeblebrox macrumors regular

Z.Beeblebrox

In regards to the tie thing, wear one IF you are totally comfortable in them. My friend is a total tie whore and he wears the thin, skinny punk ties with skulls on them, often with a button down opened with a graphic tee shirt underneath. He makes them casual wear. But don't go trying to look corporate because you'll feel stiff and uncomfortable and nervous. Dress comfortably, but professionally and neatly. Go with something trendy and fashion-forward.

Since no one has offered bag tips, I'll offer mine. I love Kenneth Cole laptop bags. They are light, sexy and have a bazillion pockets for everything you need. They have leather and as well as other materials that look good with just about anything. If you don't have a ton of money, try looking up a Kenneth Cole outlet. That's where I get mine.