Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lsutigerfan1976

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 14, 2012
I really am not sure if it is the app or what it is. When I stream video on certain apps I get good quality. Like Netflix and Hulu. When I try to stream HBO and Showtime. It gets very snowy, the quality is noticeably different. Can't figure out why. All I can assume is its the apps themselves. Cause I tried different cables, I tried plugging it in different tv's. Reset my Apple TV. Almost anything you can think of. And the quality is noticeably different on certain apps compared to others.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
I can't get Showtime to stream well on any of my devices. Even on my Mac, it's rough looking. No problems with other services. So I think sometimes I can be back-end issues too.

lsutigerfan1976

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 14, 2012
Ok I was wondering if I was the only one. Showtime is one of the main culprits. It gets so snowy at times. That it is downright laughable.

UhFive

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2013
Texas
I was getting this with Netflix (only video streaming app I use), I went to settings and changed to video quality from "Auto" to 1080 60hz and it solved it for me.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
No issues for me at all. I have a wireless a/c connection fed by gigabit internet though so I don't suspect I should have any issues.
Same here for both speeds. Showtime still looks horrible on a Mac that speed tests 950mbps+ up/down. Maybe they have a bad peering arrangement with my ISP (Cox).

lsutigerfan1976

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 14, 2012
I think it's some of the apps. Cause I dropped the Showtime app. And added Showtime to my Hulu. Once I started watching the same content through Hulu. Big difference. For now on I will stream Showtime through Hulu.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.