Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nym

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2006
Porto, Portugal
He looks kind of constipated to me. Poor guy, somebody toss him a bran muffin.

LMAO!!!

But c'mon, if I posted a pic with me next to an Apple executive in an airport with the iPhone in his hand while I was holding my ID, clock and a newspaper (to prove the date), you still wouldn't believe it...

Honestly, when I read these stories I always ask myself: "what has the OP got to win by lying about seeing an iPhone in the open?" and my answer is: nothing, he wins nothing at all, so.. why do it if it isn't true? It's not like we don't know how the iPhone looks anymore :)

To the OP: I'm not saying I believe you, but I'm not going to call you a liar either.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
The other day I was flying Continental Airlines to Houston and I sat next to Big Foot who was using a new MacBook Pro with the LED lit screen. He got a call and whipped out his iPhone and I was like WHOA I need to come back to MR and post about it!

I've seen an iPhone in about 10 people's hands.
Yeah you have to believe me because I'm willing to put up my life savings.

I believe you man, I mean heck...I've seen them all over too!

AndyR

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2005
Auckland, New Zealand
It is possible you know that he is telling the truth.

A friend of mine was coming back from the states last year on a British Airways flight in first class. 2 rows ahead of him was Prince William!

We were also on a flight recently in premium when Robbie Williams walked past so these mega celebs do fly normal airlines, so its entirly possible that this guy saw a company exec in an airport.

What gets me riled though is that an ex-work collegue was on holiday several months ago and sent me an email from when he got back. He was sat 2 rows from Evangeline Lilly and The Hobbit on a 11hr flight! I would have been giddy man, wife or no wife :)

needthephone

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2006
sydney
If it was that apple exec he should be sacked. Playing with a top secret product before its officially released not very smart.

aricher

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2004
Chi-il
Y'all trippin...

What? You've never seen a Hobbit with an iPhone on you're flight?

492504638_ab4fc43dea_o.jpg

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
I'm surprised people find this so unbelievable.

Launch is in about a month. Production devices are being built, either now or soon. Execs will have the phone and will be using it. I work for a phone manufacturer. Our pre-production phones are in use in the public by our employees as soon as they're announced, and sometimes sooner.

Of course Apple execs have them, and of course they fly commercial. Does Jobs? Probably not. But I'm not surprised this guy does, as do most of them most of the time. Corporate jets are incredibly expensive, and if he was dressed casually, it probably wasn't even a company flight.

aricher

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2004
Chi-il
Give me a break. I sat next to Danny Glover on a SOUTHWEST flight for crying out loud.
Yeah, I saw that movie too - waitaminit, I'm thinking of Sam Jackson, sorry.

492548060_088f034ac0_o.jpg

"There's an iPhone on the muthaF*¢@ing plane!"

A co-worker of a friend of mine really did see Danny Glover with an iPhone though...

492593641_b8128c1a68_o.jpg

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
I was on the same flight as Colin Mochrie once, if that counts ;)

I don't doubt that somewhere, in this huge planet, people have pre-production iPhones.

I know that a local telecommunications company has a trial network set up for testing its wireless devices, and I know employees that carry around said devices. Not as exciting as an iPhone, but I'm sure Apple also has to do real-world trials. They can't just test in a top-secret lab and then suddenly reveal it to the public without any test trials in between.

neven

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2006
Portland, OR
The poster of a thread like this has nothing to gain, so they're probably not making it up... on the other hand, they have nothing to gain, so if I saw someone using an iPhone in the wild, I'd just tell my friends (because they'd believe me) and not a group of strangers online (because they wouldn't) :)

aricher

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2004
Chi-il
We were also on a flight recently in premium when Robbie Williams walked past so these mega celebs do fly normal airlines

Yeah, I heard that Robbie Williams career was tanking. I had no idea he started working for Virgin Atlantic...

492801653_510a63e232_o.jpg

georgeoommen

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2007
Apple definitely has a corporate jet or two. And I'd find it rather surprising if Steve or anyone else at the top of the company set foot on a commercial jet as long as they're employed by Apple.

Now wouldn't that be interesting!! Here we have apple going all green with announcements of LED screens and what not and their senior officers are flying around in private jets burning more and more fuel and emitting tons and tons of carbon dioxide!! Way to go green i say!!

aricher

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2004
Chi-il
Now wouldn't that be interesting!! Here we have apple going all green with announcements of LED screens and what not and their senior officers are flying around in private jets burning more and more fuel and emitting tons and tons of carbon dioxide!! Way to go green i say!!

Steve Jobs used to have a private helicopter he would use to shuttle around California in due to the fact that he hated freeway traffic. Not sure if he still has one though.

mufflon

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2006
Well apple prsonel trying out apple hardware before launch sounds kinda possibly, seeing as this is what any other phone vendor do with their phones prior to launch (testing what happens in the field is kinda vital...), although they usually place new hardware in old cases to keep people who aren't testing from noticing - well atleast this is something S/E is doing and they are prolly not alone.

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
Ooh, it is all a big conspiracy. :p

Get a grip people, 1 month before launch pretty much all execs should have one already. And to say all execs fly in their own private jet... :rolleyes: what world do you live in?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.