Some opinions please

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by Cromulent, Nov 6, 2008.

1. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

As I stated in a previous post I am working on a commercial website project. Now I'd like some opinions on which directions to go in. I'm working towards being a very clean and fast website with minimal fuss. The only media will be required media on the site, everything else will just be well laid out text in 100% valid XHTML / CSS, with a little PHP for handling logins etc.

Does that sound like a reasonable idea? I have seen a resurgence in very minimalist websites that basically are just text, and I quite like them. They are very fast and easy to use and don't blind you with tons of flashy pictures and adverts. What is the general consensus on this issue?

2. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

Yes, it does sound like a reasonable idea. If there is a database implementation involved, consider MySQL - as part of a LAMP overall setup. You didn't mention multimedia as the form of media being served, so I'll consider that text content as you noted when you said "that basically are just text". Minimalistic is good so long as you don't forget about usability and navigation, no matter the layout. You seem like you're focused so don't consider this reply patronizing - others read and learn from this too. I trust ya!

-jim

3. Cromulent thread starter macrumors 603

Cromulent

I've already settled on PostgreSQL for the backend.

Thanks for the opinions. As for media, there may need to be the odd video, but I'm planning keeping those separate on another video style page that only deals with them rather than trying to integrate them into the rest of the site.

4. TheHoff macrumors 6502

It depends solely on the target audience and what appeals to that demographic, regardless of the current trends on other websites. Without being given the subject matter, site ambitions, or looking at the competitors, it is impossible to agree or disagree with the design goals.

5. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

It's not "impossible", Dave. :p

I deal with concept documentation all the time, part of SDLC, intended to convey a general and often non-specific elevated overview of an upcoming project. Later on, stakeholders meet to define requirements and specific target audiences based on the macro view from the concept documents. So get real, here. The OP asked for an opinion without getting too specific, and only sought informal feedback of that high level view - which is mostly major layout and architecture. I suspect once the OP has a warm fuzzy feeling, they will quickly move to the next step where concerns like yours are well addressed.

-jim

6. Cromulent thread starter macrumors 603

Cromulent

Thanks for the responses guys.

I'd love to give you incredibly specific information about the project, but it's business. I'm sure you understand :).

I've done my own research on competitors but I think most of them just go over the top with flash and other useless stuff rather than making the information easily accessible like it should be.

It is a music site so some distribution of media is required. I'm still trying to come up with the best way or organising data and the layout.

7. TheHoff macrumors 6502

Sorry, sir, I defer to your "Senior" title. I should probably post my CV or include my professional title in my handle to stop any further confusion about where on the hierarchy I sit.

Ridiculous advice, really. So you're saying a "very clean and fast website with minimal fuss. The only media will be required media on the site, everything else will just be well laid out text in 100% valid XHTML / CSS" would be appropriate for sites such as:

http://www.disney.com
    http://www.nickelodeon.com
    http://www.howardstern.com
    http://thedarkknight.warnerbros.com/dvd/

That is a 10-second list off the top of my head of a random sample of sites where the OP's proposed 'clean, text based' design would be horribly ineffectual. So should I agree or disagree on his idea without knowing what it is he intends to do with it?

While you wow'ed me with your fancy meeting jargon, the thought behind it was ignorant. You do have to be more specific about at least the target market before determining whether his design idea is appropriate.

8. Cromulent thread starter macrumors 603

Cromulent

With the information given you obviously can't make a specific recommendation or offer advice but that was not what I was asking (and I probably worded it wrong anyway).

What I was trying to ask for opinions on was whether it was a valid design at all. Or do you think that consumers nowadays requires some flash and general "funkyness" when they visit a site? Do you think that a site that was very clean and text based would stand a chance to get noticed on today's web assuming the content was there and was sufficiently gripping?

9. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

@TheHoff

Actually you were first to bring in professional/industry terms such as "target audiences", "demographics" and "design goals" which told me you're a professional. My response to you (not the OP) was from one peer to another, using the example of a concept document which we've both created from time to time in order to point out that in the earliest stage of development such issues are often not known in specificity, that's all. Also, I can see that my reply to the OP might be incorrect in your eyes, it's cool to disagree, but maybe describing my comments as "rediculous" and "ignorant" both might be a tad strong?

Sidenote: I was obviously kidding with the "Dave" remark if that contributed to setting you off, I included an emoticon and I was poking fun at your alias. I didn't realize the former baywatch star was into web development. Who knew? heh

@Cromulet

Great questions and I'll leave it to others to assist you further so you may focus on that. Cheers and best of success with your project. :)

-jim

10. Maximillian macrumors 6502

If you're pushing media (like music) to people, and your audience is 'hip' (they're internet users) then they'll want a little more than just a clean text site.

It's hard to pull off a text site that is about music without images, videos, etc. People want to see the artists, the album covers, etc. I'd go with a simple look but not without images/video. Just say no to large header graphics and photos for backgrounds. And I wouldn't go for a Web 2.0 look, I'd want something more hip and less web cliche.