some options for college

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by CoachKrzyzewski, Jun 20, 2007.

1. CoachKrzyzewski macrumors member

I will likely be getting a brand new macbook pro for college next year and I have a few options here...

Option #1:
    -purchase from Apple store
    -15" 2.4 GHz stock model (2 GB RAM, 160 Gig 5400 rpm hd, 256 mb video ram)
    -standard Applecare
    -iPod Nano
    -TOTAL PRICE~$2500

Option #2:
    -purchase from Apple store
    -15" 2.2Ghz (2GB RAM, 160 Gig 5400 rpm hd, 128 mb video ram)
    -Photoshop CS3 extended
    -ipod nano
    -standard applecare
    -TOTAL PRICE~$2500

Option #3:
    -purchase from uva bookstore
    -15" 2.2Ghz (2GB RAM, 160 Gig 5400 rpm hd, 128 mb video ram)
    -special 4-year applecare plus I can take it to the help desk for repairs and they'll give me a loaner computer
    -surge protector, lock, 40' ethernet, 10' usb, carrying case
    -TOTAL PRICE~$2600

Say you're going to be a 1st year in college... which option would you choose? All the prices are basically the same but each option has certain advantages that make me think twice no matter what I think about getting.

thanks in advance for any input/advice

2. elfin buddy macrumors 6502a

elfin buddy

I'd probably go for option 3, just for the extra year of warranty.

3. Igantius macrumors 65816

I'd be inclined to go for box no 3 as well.

Are you planning to use PS much? Will you be runnign any apps that could use the extra video memory?

4. DarthTreydor macrumors 6502

i'd go with option 1 for the added performace. the extra year of warranty would be nice but i still opt for more clock and speed vram.

5. CoachKrzyzewski thread starter macrumors member

see i don't really know what I'll be doing a lot in college. I know i'm going to apply to the commerce school for my 3rd year (that's how uva works), but other than getting prereqs for that I don't know what I want to do... everything just seems so incredible. computer science, photography, video... and that's not even counting extracurriculars that I might sign up for. I'm just really excited to be going to college next year and don't want to have my computer hold me back.

that being said, any downtime from the computer being in the shop would SUCK.... so i'm really torn between #1 and #3 right now... I can always pick up photoshop later.

6. wgkealey macrumors member

option 1 and purchase with a platinum credit card as they will usually doublt warranties up to two years.

Also, your school will have photoshop you can use for free somewhere.

7. flowagner macrumors member

flowagner

as i am in a similar situation ... i'd chose #1.

8. polevault139 macrumors 6502

Are you using any other programs besides Photoshop because if not then you don't really need the power of the MBP. That would give you extra money for n external which would be better than the glossy screen especially for work with color. Just a thought. Photoshop CS works really well on my MB with only 1GB of RAM and under Rosetta.

9. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

I would go with option #3 for the loaner computer.
    It would suck to be without a computer when a paper is due.

10. mikehokie macrumors regular

Too bad you cats at UVA got blanked by us at VT 17-0 in football.

haha, but anyways congrats on getting into UVA.

11. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

12. Frankf300 macrumors regular

Frankf300

I'd go for option 3. Like many people have mentioned before, I don't think that 200mhz of extra processing power is going to mean much. You're getting a better warranty plus the thing about getting a loaner when it's being worked on is an awesome plus. I'm starting college in the fall and I know that if my iBook dies I'll be so screwed. Having the ability to get a loaner from the them when it's being worked on would be the selling point for me at least. With it being a college computer, I think you'll want that 4 year Applecare plan also. For me, I'd have to go for option 3 considering the reality of it being a college laptop.