Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SR71

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 12, 2011
Boston, MA
Okay, so I've been telling myself to wait for the new rMBP's to come out, but I'm pretty sick of waiting so I'm thinking about getting something else for much cheaper. Keep in mind I have $250 in Best Buy store credit + $100 off as a student discount for a total of $350 off any Mac. On top of that there will be no sales tax

So, here are the options I've thought of:

• 2015 12" MacBook (base model) - Price: $999-$350 = $649. (Also can get this open box, excellent condition for $529 after student discount + store credit).

• 2015 rMBP (base model) - Price: $1299-$350 = $949

• 2015 MacBook Air (8GB RAM, 128GB SSD) - Price: $999-$350 = $649.
Those are the options I've thought of so far. Prior to this I was using a 2013 MacBook Air which I had no problems with. I had also used a 2015 MacBook before with no major problems other than somewhat short battery life, but otherwise I loved it.

Right now I'm leaning towards the 12" MacBook since it's a great value for the money and has a Retina display (which the MacBook Air for the same price does not).

Alternatively, I can continue to wait for the new rMBP to come out, but these other options are very tempting. I'll be posting this in the MacBook forum as well to see what they think as well.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
What are the intended uses for the computer? Buy whichever model that best meets your needs.

SR71

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 12, 2011
Boston, MA
What are the intended uses for the computer? Buy whichever model that best meets your needs.

Intended use is mostly schoolwork which includes programming assignments (tried these on the 2015 MacBook and it handled them just fine), writing papers, etc., but also used for Netflix, music, general web browsing... the usual stuff. Ports aren't an issue for me as I never really used them on my Air other than connect my Air to my TV when watching movies, but I recently got an Apple TV, so AirPlay solves that issue.

I'm leaning towards the 2015 MacBook mostly due to the fact that I can get it for $529 with no sales tax which is a crazy low price for any MacBook, especially one that has 8GB RAM, a 256GB SSD, AND a Retina Display (which the Air lacks). Paying an additional $420 for a 2015 rMBP (which is soon to be outdated by a completely redesigned rMBP) just for the increased power (which will not make a significant difference in use) and more ports (which will go unused) doesn't seem worth it to be honest, but I'm open to hearing other's thoughts on the matter.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Intended use is mostly schoolwork which includes programming assignments (tried these on the 2015 MacBook and it handled them just fine), writing papers, etc., but also used for Netflix, music, general web browsing... the usual stuff. Ports aren't an issue for me as I never really used them on my Air other than connect my Air to my TV when watching movies, but I recently got an Apple TV, so AirPlay solves that issue.

I'm leaning towards the 2015 MacBook mostly due to the fact that I can get it for $529 with no sales tax which is a crazy low price for any MacBook, especially one that has 8GB RAM, a 256GB SSD, AND a Retina Display (which the Air lacks). Paying an additional $420 for a 2015 rMBP (which is soon to be outdated by a completely redesigned rMBP) just for the increased power (which will not make a significant difference in use) and more ports (which will go unused) doesn't seem worth it to be honest, but I'm open to hearing other's thoughts on the matter.

Your reasoning is sound and that price is amazing. Even the 13 inch MacBook Pro is huge by comparison to the thin and light 12 inch MacBook. Much nicer to haul from class to class.

The only downside is the keyboard. The MBPs keyboards IMHO feel better.

Reactions: T5BRICK

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Sumthin' tells me that if you buy -anything less than- a MacBook Pro, you're going to find yourself unhappy before too long.

Sumthin' also tells me that if you buy a current-model MacBook Pro, you're going to find yourself very unhappy before too much longer...

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon

I went with the rMBP over the rMB about one year ago and I'd do it again. That being said...I needed the ports on the rMBP and I HATED the keyboard on the rMB.

I think you're on the right track and the rMB world suit your needs very well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.