Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blahblah100

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2009
Completely no sense: Lion introduced multitouch, iCloud, OpenGL core (it destroy Snow Leopard in 3D performance) and so many other things.
the problem users wants to whine... OS X is free, every update have new features and under the hood improvements, but if you read internet forums seems nothing works...

I'm working in a support center, never see a 10.9 to 10.10 Mac with wifi issue, as now the few problems i've seen were in router side. But naturally reading here it seems nobody with 10.10 can use wifi lol. Human race is lost.

If it has nothing to do with the software, why did Apple release an update to address wifi issues?

Something tells me your anecdote is fabricated BS.

25ghosts

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2008
If it has nothing to do with the software, why did Apple release an update to address wifi issues?

Something tells me your anecdote is fabricated BS.

It has EVERYTHING to do with the software. I can boot form a Mavericks external drive and have zero issues....

This is PURE software !

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
Still rockin 10.9.5 with no plans to "downgrade" to Yosemite any time soon.

Your loss. You're missing out on some incredible new technologies and experiences in Yosemite.

I know I couldn't go back to 10.9 now after using Yosemite extensively for weeks. This is the best operating system I have ever used on any computer.

heehaw

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2014
It is a software issue. Simple fact. 2013 rMBP. Works fine in clamshell with Apple mouse and keyboard on Mavericks.

Upgrade to Yosemite. Can't hold wifi connection for more than 2 mins. Open screen and turn off bluetooth, wifi works fine. Turn bluetooth back on, connection problems.

There is a massive bluetooth/wi-fi bug

Kariya

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2010
Yosemite installed on an External SSD here, running it on my Late 2013 rMBP. Can't say i have any Wi-Fi issues. Connected via 802.11ac just fine. Then again i'm using an Apple router which might explain why.

*shrug*

Still use Mavericks as my daily driver/workhorse though.

paulrustad101

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2014
Hmmmm.....

Apple and wi-fi issues go together like peas and carrots. EVERY Apple product I have owned going back to my iPhone 4, and including an original iPad, An iMac, and several MacBooks have all had wi-fi issues with the "must be your router" answer. I have bought at least 5 routers, even though I had a Gen. 2 Time Capsule also, and none of them solved the issues. The really amazing thing is NONE of the other 25 wireless connected products in my home had these wi-fi issues, only to be met with, "Apple follows the standards to a T" response, not their fault others don't. My solution was to get a Galaxy Note 2 and build a PC Tower with Windows 7 Professional. I still have my seven Macs in the house and will use them as long as I can, but my early 2011 MacBook Pro is having the graphics issue common to them and any future Apple purchase on my part depends on what Apple does in response to that situation.

I have at least 15 devices on my system, a comcast router none the less, and all my iPads, iPhones, apple TV's and iPods all work seamlessly. We are at 10.1.1 and 8.1.1 on all items. I also have 5 desktops wired into a 24 port switch with a 6TB WD Cloud in the basement. I have not had any problems with any of the devices at any point in owning them. If anything, I deal more with my daughters Windoze 7 machines than anything. That beast keeps dropping wifi at least 3 times a day. Dell. My Mac and iDevices are singing Kum-ba-ya daily. Perhaps I am lucky.

till213

Suspended
Jul 1, 2011
How long have you been an Apple user? Problems with products are hardly a new thing.

With regards to Wi-Fi:

10.6 - Rock stable!

10.7 - Bang! There goes the Wi-Fi!

10.8 - Bang again! There goes the Wi-Fi!

10.9 - Yet another big bang: There goes the Wi-Fi!

10.10 - Still counting? There goes the Wi-Fi...

In the nasal voice of Tim: "Oooonly Apple can do that!"

Btw I was affected by Wi-Fi issues myself on 10.8 with some FritzBox router. Needless to say that an older iMac running 10.6 would perfectly run with the exact same router settings (such as any other device like iPhones and cheap Windows netbooks...)!

Turned out that Mountain Lion 10.8 did not like the 2.4 GHz band (it worked when switching the router to 5 GHz). Turning off Bluetooth did not help (which was sometimes helpful with others, or so the rumours say...). Note: ML would still connect to the router (so the Wi-Fi was "visible"), and the router would even accept my WPA2 password... but no IP address would be assigned to the Mac, hence no network connectivity...

To top it off: A Ubuntu Linux Live DVD on that very same iMac (running Mountain Lion 10.8) worked like a charm with the router on 2.4 GHz - INCLUDING Bluetooth enabled!

So yes, only Apple can break the same stuff over and over again, as it seems...

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal
Did you not notice that Apple completely controls the ecosystem? Give M$ credit. They have to support thousands of hardware products with their OS. Considering that fact makes Apple look silly in comparison. And don't get me started on supporting them on a Windows network with real security. They make consumer products not designed for enterprise use.

Why do you think the Apple sales reps avoid IT like the plague and try to sell directly to end users?

You are saying that Apple controls all those third party routers it connects too? We're talking about WIFI aren't we? Do they also control printers, blue tooth devices too? Notice that these are the devices that have issues right now.

These days, especially with IOS releases, tens of millions of new devices are suddenly put in contact with tens of thousands of different WIFI routers and blue tooth devices within a few months. There is nothing comparable in the PC world. Mobile devices also tend to be in contact with many different types of routers/printers (compared to only a few for PC's) with environmental conditions that vary immensely.

If you buy only Apple devices, then I'm sure the number of issues is on average less than with third party devices. But, even those could have code paths that haven't been exercised until now in their OS.

Sometimes problems occur simply because the default way the protocol is implemented in the new version of the software reveals bugs that already existed in the third party device and had not showed up in normal use yet.

A different way of reacting to traffic on the WIFI segment could impact throughput or connection stability. Someone with less local traffic or a different router could not be impacted at all by such an issue.

Or, sometimes more subtle could occur, like changes: to the way DNS leases work, to how security works (problems connecting with the router), etc.

Systems integration issues are hard and Apple with its every growing user base and very quick release cycles has its work cut out for it.

till213

Suspended
Jul 1, 2011
Your loss. You're missing out on some incredible new technologies and experiences in Yosemite.

A new file system with check sums and restore points? OpenGL 4.5? A stable SMB2 implementation? TRIM support for all SSDs out there?

What is it? What is it? Tell us! Tell us!

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
You obviously haven't use a lot of MS laptops or even desktop connecting with WIFI. WIFI breaks ALL THE TIME. Not sure if the issue is in the drivers, the WIFI hardware in the mobile devices, the standard, the configuration or the routers (hardware and software), but this happens a lot right now.

I pay more for Apple stuff so that I don't have to deal with this. Windows is a bit different because there are literally thousands of different devices all running the same OS. Apple only has to support their limited range of products, many of which use the same WiFi hardware across the product lines. That being said, I never had any WiFi problems with my Dell Inspiron 5400 from 2005-2008, and I asked my wife and she didn't have any problems with whatever Dell she had through college (it was a little bit newer than mine I believe). Before that I built all of my computers, the last one having a WiFi card that always worked. Two out of the three Macs I've owned have had some kind of WiFi problem over the years. I'm willing to bet that if I brought my personal rMBP running Yosemite on campus that it would also have WiFi problems just like my iPhone and iPad do. It's not just campus WiFi because I had iOS 5, 6, and 7 devices working on it before. Although I'm pretty sure iOS 7 was broken at first too.

Sasparilla

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2012
Right. I need to replace my 1,1 MacPro Apple <beeped> me on along with my wife's HP laptop that's been fantastic but there's nothing compelling out there. MacPro's are way too expensive now, iMac's are ok but I don't need a monitor, and the Mac Mini is a decent entry level machine but I'd rather spend $1K on a solid i7-4970 custom built PC. Windows 8 is ok but Windows 10 is supposed to be a lot more like OSX so I'm hopeful. The final nail in the Apple coffin is Yosemite which seems buggy and gaudy.

Good luck with Windows 8.2/9/10 (release is towards the end of next year), it is still a mess (running the technical preview at home) and definitely not like OS X (they're nudging it back closer to a desktop/laptop focused OS from the touch UI focused mess they turned it into with v8.0), but tile world is still there and Microsoft requires the user to straddle both. An aggravating example is all the settings that used to be in control panel on versions of Windows prior to 8 are now split between control panel in desktop world and the others are over in Tile World.

As an FYI, you can run Mavericks on your Mac Pro 1,1 now, as some dedicated folks (some on these forums) have figured out how to do this relatively easily. But I know what you're saying...hardware has to get upgraded at some point and Apple is selling sealed iThings for the most part now.

Prof.

macrumors 603
Aug 17, 2007
Chicagoland
I'm one of them. Never had a problem with my Wi-Fi until 10.10, so it is not my Wi-Fi router. The Wi-Fi indicator in the status bar on my MacBook Pro will turn gray and the webpage will stop loading.

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014
It is a software issue. Simple fact. 2013 rMBP. Works fine in clamshell with Apple mouse and keyboard on Mavericks.

Upgrade to Yosemite. Can't hold wifi connection for more than 2 mins. Open screen and turn off bluetooth, wifi works fine. Turn bluetooth back on, connection problems.

There is a massive bluetooth/wi-fi bug

It's almost certainly related to all the extra code hacked in to make handoff barely work. Handoff is such a weird intertwining of Bluetooth and WiFi - I can't fathom at all why they decided to do it that way... maybe to take load off of their end and put in all on devices rather than a server somewhere I guess - but still it would have been so much more stable and accessible if they made it all work with straight IP.

olafriis

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2012
Still wifi issues 10.10.1 MBA 11" 2014

Well, things has to be set in perspective, yes there are issues with one of the family macs. 1 out of 5 macs at home had wifi issues since Yosemite 10.10.0. Of course it's the newest one, a MBA 11" 2014 model. The rest including some PC had no wifi issue at all. The MBA is daily used on several wifi networks and the issue is only at home, where the other wifi networks works fine, thankfully.

So... I will do more tests at home to figure out what exact combinations of accesspoint fails sometimes, there are three of them (bad walls for wifi signal) and 10.10.1 was not the solution I hoped it to be.

I tell you all, I have a not very happy Apple user at home.

I didn't have wifi issues before the update, but I do now.

Anyone else in this boat?

2011 MacBook Air

kramerdude

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2006
Same here

I didn't have wifi issues before the update, but I do now.

Anyone else in this boat?

2011 MacBook Air

Mid 2011 air. Never seen any connection issues until this latest release. Seems they tried to fix things for some, but broke it for others. Hope a new release comes super quick as this is my work computer and this is a problem.

SusanK

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2012
MacRumors isn't necessarily a pro-Apple community. It's about evenly split between people that come here because they like Apple products and people that dislike Apple but can't seem to stop buying Apple products.

Some of us have been Apple users for many years. We are aware of the decline in quality as Apple cranks out anything to meet a hardware debut deadline.

Users who came on board recently with iPhone don't have the basis for comparison. The last Apple product I bought was a first generation iPad mini. The WiFi is weak. Apple store told me to buy a new AE! All other devices including the two Windows units do not experience issues from this so called defective AE.

Cook can only ride Steve's reputation for so long.

Manderby

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2006
Funny. Just when I decided that I shall not post a sarcastic comment about how great it feels to still work on my main computer with Snow Leopard, lots of people start to scream for the old system.

Guess what: It still exists, there is still hardware out there which run it. Go to eBay or something. Look for companies which still have old mac Pros.

And I can tell you: It is worth it.

You can still use the newer systems for joy, everyday things and little games.

I, of course, would very much prefer to be able to install my precious SL on any new device I want. Something which probably will never happen. Sadly.

nojkepop

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2014
I'd like to see a poll that simply has a check box people with wifi issues and people without. I suppose you could add people who haven't upgraded. I have a ridiculous amount of Apple products and I've had zero wifi issues. I also don't know anyone else who has either. Obviously if there is an issue it needs to be fixed but I would love to see a poll on this one.

allanfries

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2013
Canada
Apple's best and brightest must be working on 10.11 already :rolleyes: We need a Snow Leopard type of release for next year. Yearly OS updates are gradually lowering the quality of OS X.

Maybe its time to stop pushing out these new releases every year. Every 2 years would be good enough for most if they are solid, problem free, working releases. Hear that Apple?? Just sayin'

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
It's things like this that prevent me from upgrading until at least X.X.2 is released. I simply don't have the time and energy to screw around with my computers and other devices.

----------

Maybe its time to stop pushing out these new releases every year. Every 2 years would be good enough for most if they are solid, problem free, working releases. Hear that Apple?? Just sayin'

It's impossible to test and verify every possible configuration in-house before a software release. There will always be a small percentage that has some weird configuration that screws things up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.