Some pages in Safari and Firefox wont load

Discussion in 'macOS' started by poshpantspaddy, Mar 17, 2009.

1. poshpantspaddy macrumors newbie

I'll start by saying I am no expert! Recently my Safari browser (3.2.1) has not been loading certain pages properly (text only + '?' symbol), Youtube and Facebook for example. Coupled with this my 'downloads window' wont open and thus I cant seem to download anything. This started all of a sudden (had my Mac for a year) and nothing I've tried helped. Here's a list of the things i've tried.

• Installing firefox, opera, netscape and Shiira and a few others (all of which had the exact same problem after installation)
    • Installing all system updates.
    • Installing safari 4.0 beta
    • Complete reinstall of OS (worked for a while then reverted back)
    • Enabling and disabling the internet plugins
    • Reset disk permissions (nada)

I am running on a wireless netgear router. I have a number of other computers on the network two laptops (running firefox fine) and a iPhone and Blackberry Bold all of which are running fine

The internet is STILL running, safari works (to a degree), iTunes, iWeb etc connect.

Please, please, help I was a big Mac fan until this went wrong!

Thanks in advance

2. SamNeeds macrumors regular

Are you using Open DNS or any specific proxy configurations?

3. poshpantspaddy thread starter macrumors newbie

I haven't gone near these settings but how would I check this, thanks?

4. SamNeeds macrumors regular

If it's Safari, it'll be in the Network Settings (Apple Logo, System Preferences, Network, Airport (or Ethernet) and there should be a section on Proxy settings.

If it's Firefox, it'll be in it's Network section in there.

However, as you're not aware of configuring these or even using Open DNS, I'd doubt it was this.

Can you try hooking your Mac upto the modem directly? At the moment it should be going Modem -> Router -> Mac. Try the ethernet cable at the back of the Router in your Mac and see if that helps - I just want to rule out the router.

5. poshpantspaddy thread starter macrumors newbie

THANKYOU! That worked instantly youtube loaded like a dream. I could send screen shots of my DNS and proxy settings from the router setup I took them when you queried them? Is is safe to post these?

6. SamNeeds macrumors regular

No problem :) I'd suggest reseting the router back to factory defaults, that will eliminate any changes that may have been the DNS. As for the proxy settings, they werent at fault; as it worked fine directly from the modem.

7. poshpantspaddy thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks again, I didn't have much luck with my router though it failed to reboot. Was thinking of getting a an Airport extreme for a while now any, would you recommend?

8. SamNeeds macrumors regular

I'm currently running a Belkin N1 router and that's working just fine. The only downside I'd say is that it doesn't support things such as 'Back to Mac' as it doesn't support NAT-PMP (NAT Port Mapping Protocol) or UPnP (Universal Plug and Play).

Unfortunately for me I don't think I'll be getting an Airport Extreme for sometime, mainly because I don't want to pay £139 just so that I can use Back to Mac.

However, there's nothing stopping you. Especially if your kit is Mac. Put it this way, if I had £139 to just throw away on Apple kit, it would be on an Airport Extreme next.

9. poshpantspaddy thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks again for the advice. Just looked at some of the reviews of the Airport extreme online, about 90% positive which is unusual for a router. I think I am going to go for it!