*Some* Parallels 4 upgrader's are asking for refund...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by wbgallagher, Nov 24, 2008.

1. wbgallagher macrumors newbie

I'm purchasing a new macbook pro and was going to go with parallel's since they just issued a "new" version. However, I was advised that a people in the IT community were having issues.

Anyone else having problems, slow-down's or is this just an isolated report?

Here's one source of comment on the problem:
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/11/24/parallels_four_users_angry/page2.html

2. Malcster macrumors 6502

Can't comment on version 4 myself, but they had the exact same problem when Parallels version 3 was introduced, it was a mess, used > 30% cpu even at idle.

i didn't hang around to see if they fixed it, i started using Fusion instead where ive had zero problems since.

3. mathcolo macrumors 6502a

I've had no problems with Parallels 4.0. I love it. Works great and looks great too.

CPU used is very minimal.

4. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

If you think that article is good you should see the threads in the Parallels forums with people screaming about the multiple failures of the version 3 to version 4 upgrade process! For evey one successful upgrade reported, there seem to be 10 that have failed painfully I am sorry to say.:(

5. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I had just one problem with Parallels 4, and the most recent update seems to have fixed it... :D

6. Leto-Parallels macrumors member

Leto-Parallels

That article's a gem isn't it? I've been looking at it this morning. For every negative feedback post he's copy-pasted, I could show you two positive feedback posts. Not much more to say about it; anyone can search around the internet for negative feelings and post them all in one article. Doesn't matter if you're talking about Parallels Desktop 4.0 for Mac or cucumber salad or Albert Einstein.

Cut to a scene from Reading Rainbow where LeVar Burton says "Of course, you don't have to take my word for it..."

If there's anyone left that hasn't tried the free trial of Parallels Desktop 4.0 for Mac, the link is www.Parallels.com/Desktop. That way you can decide for yourselves. Parallels Desktop gives you the choice of backing up your data before conversion so you can always revert to your old ways if you don't like the software.

Furthermore, if any of you have questions about the product, feel free to ask here or look on our resource page. We also have free e-mail and knowledge database support.

7. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

I just got 3.0 configured and installed, and will be submitting for the free upgrade to 4.0 shortly.

Should be interesting to see how it works. I have 1.0 on an iMac, and that worked fine for my needs a the time.

*goes to read the article*

8. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

Yeah PD4 is a real gem alright. I ugpraded to one of the RC candidates (I was in the beta process) and it completely nuked my VM. It would boot up to a black screen and do nothing. I promptly ditched PD (again) for VMWare Fusion.

When you can recover my PD image from it's broken state (nobody on the beta boards could) I'll consider attempting to use it again. Although I think it's pretty crappy none of the beta testers got PD 4 keys, just a 14 day extension on their RTM install.
    :rolleyes:

9. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

So people didn't backup their VMs while using RC/Beta versions?

10. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

I backed up prior to PD3 to 4 beta. But between Betas, no I didn't. I also excluded it from Time Machine at that time too. Go figure.

11. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Thanks for the warning though, I currently exclude the images from my daily backup because of space. Need to make sure I have some sort of one for my 3 -> 4 upgrade.

12. Leto-Parallels macrumors member

Leto-Parallels

Not to sound unappreciative of our beta testers, because Parallels had some great people participate in that program; but you're complaining about something going wrong with software still in testing phase when you didn't back up your system. The best I can do is point you in the direction of our free e-mail support, which I linked above.

13. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I suspect the reason my experience was (almost) trouble-free was because I didn't have a Parallels 3 VM to convert to V4. :p

14. bmwmcrider macrumors newbie

I originally was running PD 3 with WinXP Pro for my VM without any problems. When PD 4 was announced I purchased an upgrade license but opted to wait for the CD distro rather than download. But I got anxious and downloaded the trial.

Using the built in uninstaller PD 3 was removed and PD 4 installed; the WinXP VM was converted to the PD 4 format and everything ran except the network connectivity that had a problem that a lot of people were experiencing. Got quick support response from the Parallels staff and fixed the problem.

Then I decided to move my Vista Ultimate license from my desktop PC to my MacBook Pro. The most problematic part of the process other than the installation time and having to reinstall my apps was getting the license activated on the new machine.

Then my purchased copy of PD 4 finally arrived in the mail. I saved a copy of the Vista VM, uninstalled the trial version of PD 4; installed my purchased version; and activated it with the supplied license.

So I did all the above jumping through the hoops with network connectivity being the only issue. The PD 4 is one slick piece of software; the integration with the Mac OS 10.5 is incredibly seemless. I am running it on a MacBook Pro with 4Gbytes of ram and a 320 Gbyte, 7200 rpm hard drive and really don't have any issues with speed or excessive consumption of CPU cycles; note I usually have several power hungry apps running in both Mac OS and PD 4 environments.

For those that have speed issued might I suggest more ram and higher rpm hard drive. When I upgrade my hard drive and added more ram, I noticed quite an improvement in the responsiveness of PD 3.

Mike

Mike

15. quigsby macrumors newbie

Installed Parallels 4.0 and it was aweful

I have been using 3.0 for over a year and it was amazing on my mac book pro. When Parallels 4 came out I was really excited, but not for long. The conversion was smooth but the results were disastrous. After launching the speed slowed to molasses and it would freeze at every mouse click. After 2 days of no help from Parallels I uninstalled it and went back to the latest version of 3.0. I may try again, but Ill read the blogs and threads first.
    quigsby

16. wbgallagher thread starter macrumors newbie

Hello Leto-Parallels,
    Does the above mean that there is a 1 out of 3 negative experience with the new version?

As SickMacDoc points out above, there seems to be a lot of problems reported on the Parallel's forum website itself. And in all fairness, that IS where people w/problems may end up; but it still does indicate that something not good happening in more than a random fashion.

That's why I posted here instead, looking for users experience that would encourage me after hearing from the IT people.

Again, positive or negative, if you've upgraded to Parallels 4, post your experience.

And just to clarify, do I understand you are an employee for the company?

17. jeffgtr macrumors regular

My upgrade went smooth as glass

After reading all of the problems with Parallels I held off on upgrading.
    I just finished upgrading from 3.0 to 4.0 without incident.

I feel sorry for the people that are having problems, however I thought I should post to let you know there are people that upgrade without a problem.

It seems to be snappier than 3.0

18. AnalyzeThis macrumors 6502

I would stay away from it!

I had Parallels since 2.0. Latest version is very bad with sound and USB peripherals. Just think about this for a moment - they messed up mic input, so now it works in reverse - higher level - lower gain. You do not want to hear what is coming from mic - it is just horrible. Sometimes it drops sound completely. My Voip application in XP used to work , although very unstable, now it is dead. When it adjust the mic gain - it shuts its completely down, due to reverse bug. My Logitech ClearChat USB headset was working barely in P3, P4 just produce a few clicks, but no sound at all. P3 and P4 also could occasionally go "belly up with sparks".

What a great job! It seems "Joe the Parallels" team cares only about 3D at expense of everything else.

I converted P4 VM to Fusion today and everything works as on real PC, not just 3D. I could not wait to get rid of Parallels as soon as I verify all XP applications are working on Fusion. I am really fed up with it.

BTW, it took less time to convert P4 to Fusion vs running P3 to P4 VM conversion. Yikes

Stick with the winners!
    Good Luck!