Some PC to Mac questions....

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Kronie, Feb 11, 2009.

1. Kronie macrumors 6502a

Kronie

So as I twiddle my thumbs waiting for my 17’ unibody to arrive I thought I would post a couple PC to Mac questions I have.

My old laptop is dead so I can’t transfer stuff out of it but I do have backups on other drives.

1. Will OSX recognize and open the windows files on my backup drives? Desktop, documents, pictures, ect, ect? Doesn’t Mac use some other format?

2. Can I import my windows outlook backup (PST files) into Outlook for Mac or whatever the Mac’s email program is? I have office outlook for Mac already.

3. Where the hell is my 17” unibody anyway. WHATS TAKING SO LONG!

2. claimed4all macrumors 6502

1. Yes its different, but you can view it and copy them over. You can also get a plugin to write to NTFS

2. Not to sure as I do not use apple mail.

3. Sitting an a warehouse.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

1. Yes, your Mac will open most Windows documents. Pictures are easy. If you have Microsoft Office 2008, iWork, OpenOffice or one of several other apps, you can open Word, Excel and Powerpoint files.

2. As for your Outlook .pst files, I'm not sure. There is no Outlook version for Mac anymore. Entourage might do it, but I'm sure there's something out there that will enable you to access your .pst files. You might even consider getting access to a Windows system long enough to open your .pst file with Outlook and save it in another format.

3. It's probably still in Shanghai, China.

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

1. Depends. If the drives are FAT formatted then you can read and write to them. If they're NTFS formatted you'll only be able to read, but you can get 3rd party plugins to enable read and write support.
    2. The equivalent for Mac is called Entourage, not Outlook, for reasons I don't fully understand. It is possible to do this, but you need a third-party tool. Do a Google search for "mac entourage import pst" like I did, and you should find quite a few helpful results.
    3. Odds are it's in a warehouse, waiting for paperwork to clear, or it's still being built in the factory.

5. robo456 macrumors 6502

robo456

I ordered my white Macbook on February 3rd first thing in the morning (EST). Apparently, since I ordered it with the little mini-dvi->dvi adapter, it was a "customized order." Meh. Anyway, it was shipped on Feb 5th.

It was held in Shanghai, China due to "adverse weather conditions." It made it's way to Anchorage, Alaska on the 6th, and was held up there for 4 days for customs. From there, it went to Kentucky on the 10th. Finally, on the 11th, it's scheduled for delivery here in NJ.

So my little mac has been all over the place... quite a trip!

--rob

6. Kronie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Kronie

7. utkillsall macrumors newbie

1. Any type of document can be read on a mac, sometimes the help of iWork/MS Office helps
    2. You can import ALL outlook files into mac mail, which will already be on your computer when you get it, the only thing that doesnt carry over is some of the fields like comments, but everything else works...if comments are a big deal then go with entourage...outlook for mac - oh and if you have a blackberry, just go to their website and you can download a free sync app for macs
    3. be patient