Some people just need a lesson

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by JamesMike, Jun 26, 2015.

1. JamesMike macrumors demi-god

JamesMike

2. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

I wonder if he still got the ticket for it!

Either way, more than enough embarrassment and humiliation for the guy to never park in a handicap spot again.

BL.

3. JamesMike thread starter macrumors demi-god

JamesMike

I think the cleaning bill would be more than the ticket..LOL!

4. frazzm737 macrumors regular

frazzm737

We have a handicapped daughter and I can't tell you how many times we have driven around in vain trying to find a wheel chair accessible parking space. Too many times we see perfectly able-bodied people drive out of handicapped spaces. Nice to see that guy get what he deserved!

5. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

True story here.

I was driving with my wife to her bank. As I pull into the handicapped spot, I see our County Parking Enforcement Officer drive right by as I'm getting out of the car. He doesn't see my wife. So he sits tight, and doesn't see me watching him writing up the parking ticket through the windows of the bank.

So as my wife and I walk back out to our car, he comes up to me, starting the conversation:

Officer: Excuse me, but are you XXXXX?
    Me: No, I'm not.
    Officer: Then why are you using her disabled placard, it's against the law, and you're looking at a $3500 fine if you don't explain to me why you are using it.
    Me: Simple. I'm not XXXXX. She (me pointing at her) is XXXXX.

I lead her to him, and she shows him her ID. He fumes a little bit, apologizes, and walks away. He didn't realize that my wife was there, blind, and without our guide dog. I was there guiding her, so she didn't need her cane, either.

My point: Looks can be deceiving. While I know for a fact there are people abusing disabled placards and should be fined for it, there are those who do use them as they should. Her placard is on my rear view mirror of my car; however, when she is not in the car, I do not and will not park in a handicapped spot. It is my wife's privilege, not mine.

BL.

6. frazzm737 macrumors regular

frazzm737

It is obvious to me that you use your wife's placard wisely. I'll bet you never park in the spaces reserved for those who need special spots with room to deploy a ramp so that a wheelchair can exit the vehicle. The people who bother me are those who have no obvious need to deploy a ramp and are perfectly capable of walking some short distance.

7. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

I have a permanent handicapped tag on my car. I have a hanger for when I am a passenger in someone else's car. Yea, they could drop me off and come back, but then I have to find a place to sit to wait for them.

Incidentally, I don't always park in handicapped spots. I don't know who decides where they go or how many there have to be, but that person can't have any experience being disabled.

8. JamesMike thread starter macrumors demi-god

JamesMike

I should have also mentioned in my small town, they have a dedicated police vehicle driven by two retired police officers who deal with handicap parking tickets and they are very proactive. A good way to use retired police officers who still want to contribute.

9. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

When my father was terminally ill (cancer plus a stroke) we were issued with a disabled/handicapped parking pass; until then, it was a matter I had never really considered, - because I never had to consider it - but I have been very aware of it ever since.

10. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

I had a friend who continued to use her mother's hang tag two years after her mother died. Drove me nuts.

11. Scepticalscribe, Jul 1, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2015

Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Not surprising, but perhaps inevitable; I have long been struck by the incredible sense of entitlement that some people have.

The only issue for us was that - despite having been authorised officially and medically supported and having completed the rather complicated process necessary to apply for one, (including police verification and confirmation of identity which had to take place inside a police station, and my father was not at all mobile) it took months to come through. However, it was very useful - and very necessary - while we had it.

We returned ours, shortly after my father's death.

12. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

I was absolutely appalled to discover that in Alabama, once you have a handicapped tag (or hanger), you can renew it forever without further need for a doctor, unless your doctor was very specific in the original request that it be short term.