Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2008
What a surprise?!

This is why I don't download apps even from legitimate sources. Because those legitimate sources are cheap and outsource their work to companies whose ethics and business practices are likely to be suspect. Basically, if you have any app on your phone, you have to assume by default that it knows everything about you. Nobody really knows what's in the code.

JosephAW

macrumors 603
May 14, 2012
Heat maps and click location recording are nothing new. We've used them for years to determine where the majority of users click and spend their time at our websites.

Reactions: fairuz

KPandian1

macrumors 65816
Oct 22, 2013
Multiple popular iPhone apps from major companies are using intrusive analytics services that capture detailed data like taps, swipes, and even screen recordings without customer knowledge, ...
With no way to detect that this is going on, all customers can do is refuse to use the apps and services of companies that are found to be engaging in shady analytics tracking purposes without clear privacy policies.

Why Apple? We install these apps because you vetted them? Are we not supposed to trust the apps from Apple anymore?

I have "just" three airlines apps on iPhone. No search sites - never trusted them. Most are owned by Expedia.

ipponrg

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
The issue is the handling of your data with legitimate apis. It’s not about being two faced. Once your info gets off your phone into some back-end dB that is not managed by Apple, it’s up to the integrity of your app developer to manage your data in accordance within the tos of the app.

It’s literally no different than a trusted friend spilling your secrets.

That’s not the issue.

If you allow the api and you have to allow an app to get in, then you are responsible for ensuring the continual compliance of the app.

Because Apple continually brags about privacy, this makes it seem like it’s all a facade to make them sound different.

Reactions: AlumaMac

Dholtz001

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2014
I'm confused why this is a big deal. It's just screen recordings, right? Most websites already do this. To be honest I'd be surprised if MacRumors doesn't do it too (despite this article suggesting it is dubious.)

Ramchi

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2007
India
Thats the FaceTime feature everyone seems to be using it probably had an API to record conversations!

fairuz

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2017
Silicon Valley
I don't see anything wrong with this. All they're doing is recording what you click on in their app. Most apps have done this for a long time, only with lesser precision than these guys are. Every website does the same too at least by tracking URL visits, plus usually analytics for other features. This implies nothing about spying on usage outside of their app or website.

fairuz

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2017
Silicon Valley
This shouldn’t even be possible, from a programming standpoint, WTF Apple?
The title is misleading, borderline clickbait. They just record what you do in their app, not the rest of the screen or your screen when you're in other apps.

Sevanw

Suspended
Sep 13, 2014
But, but, the walled garden. I'm continuously made to believe I'm so safe in this walled garden. Nothing bad is supposed to happen inside these walls. The hardware is supposed to be of the highest quality. And the software so stable with the tightest security. The diehards have been telling me this for years. But now reality is sinking in. Someone please get me my Apple glasses and Kool aide, I can't take this shocking reality. Lol, man o man, gotta love this company's ability to keep its diehards believing.

Ramchi

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2007
India
I don’t want free apps. I want secure apps. I would gladly pay money to avoid this. I only use a handful of apps anyway.

Plus, the argument doesn’t hold water. Expedia isn’t a free app that I use without compensating them. They get paid when I use their service. The app is their storefront. Same with just about all the other apps. People are already paying those companies and the app isn’t their revenue generator.

Free App is myth! Apps save tons of time, effort, money for corporations and increase their reach of services by making end-users to buy mobile, have mobile connection, pay for internet usage, and keep upgrading the OS and mobile phones etc...and keep paying monthly charges for mobile connection. Enough of charging poor consumer !!

Now coming back to privact and security, we never know hoe far Apple devices have been exposed. I see the trend only slowly but steadily increasing in recent months

Heineken

Suspended
Jan 27, 2018
I don't see anything wrong with this. All they're doing is recording what you click on in their app. Most apps have done this for a long time, only with lesser precision than these guys are. Every website does the same too at least by tracking URL visits, plus usually analytics for other features. This implies nothing about spying on usage outside of their app or website.
Did you just skip the part about user data being exposed?

Reactions: AlumaMac

ani4ani

Cancelled
May 4, 2012
But, but, the walled garden. I'm continuously made to believe I'm so safe in this walled garden. Nothing bad is supposed to happen inside these walls. The hardware is supposed to be of the highest quality. And the software so stable with the tightest security. The diehards have been telling me this for years. But now reality is sinking in. Someone please get me my Apple glasses and Kool aide, I can't take this shocking reality. Lol, man o man, gotta love this company's ability to keep its diehards believing.
I am not sure what is more incredulous....that Apple actually believe they can...or the fact they actually do!

Reactions: WatchFromAfar

Ramchi

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2007
India
With all of the iOS security problems lately with apps, imagine how bad Android systems must be.

Android apparently to some extent mitigates these with custom layers for each device. It is not like iOS where most of the customers in the same OS version...you need to develop, deploy different techniques for each set of devices...not a preferably method for hackers!! Probably effort required far exceeds the rewards!

kakinc

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2018
Toronto
Seriously, I switch to iPhone and Mac for its privacy stance.
But ability to record screen without permission? and no way of disabling such function?
This is getting to the point, seems to me, it no longer matters when both Google and Apple are actively ignoring/avoiding real changes. Apple privacy stance is getting more and more like just a PR stunt with no real actions, unless when they are forced to, like when shxt gets out. Then you get a REACTION.

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
Vote with you finger folks. I only had the Expedia App on the Apps listed. Use to use it a lot, now deleted and won't use them again, will switch to lastminute instead.

Sevanw

Suspended
Sep 13, 2014
Vote with you finger folks. I only had the Expedia App on the Apps listed. Use to use it a lot, now deleted and won't use them again, will switch to lastminute instead.

So no blame to Apple? Just keep believing this company is the privacy warrior it pretends to be? Nothing to worry about with other apps? Still full trust to Apple?

bobob

macrumors 68040
Jan 11, 2008
If apple doesn’t remove these from the App Store and hit the kills witch on the ones the are on users phones I will be very disappointed.
This privacy lapse is indeed bad, but I think the bigger story here is that Apple even employs a kills witch in this day and age.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
"What happens on your iPhone, Stays on your iPhone" eh Timmy?

Let's see you block these apps immediately please so you can stay true to your word.

fairuz

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2017
Silicon Valley
Did you just skip the part about user data being exposed?
To the company you're giving it to in the first place. And it's in one random case they found. That's just not doing it right since it's bad practice to show, say, their UX people customer data they aren't authorized to see. But it's not the end of the world.

Equivalent lack of internal access controls is a problem in other ways in most companies, e.g. some database the customer service employees can read from. This isn't news, and it's currently unavoidable whether they "capture your screen" or not. I'd be willing to bet an unauthorized employee in any company that's not a tech giant can access your CC number if it's in their system.
[doublepost=1549526426][/doublepost]
"What happens on your iPhone, Stays on your iPhone" eh Timmy?

Let's see you block these apps immediately please so you can stay true to your word.
It was never a true statement since iCloud exists.
[doublepost=1549526513][/doublepost]
So no blame to Apple? Just keep believing this company is the privacy warrior it pretends to be? Nothing to worry about with other apps? Still full trust to Apple?
What rule do you want them to put in place, no collection of app usage analytics? Then appmakers start putting everything into websites so they can track usage in the backend. It's fundamental: If something is set up to be used, it can be set up to track the usage.
[doublepost=1549526608][/doublepost]
People wanted free apps. Well this is what you get when you use free apps. Massive invasions of privacy for the purpose of mining and monetizing your personal information.
They'll do it even if you pay for the app. Open source is really the only way to go if you want to avoid this nonsense, plus the backend should be federated if possible. But those solutions are always ghetto, probably because people aren't willing to do UX work for free.

Last edited:

usarioclave

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2003
You have already consented to the app’s policy and they already have your data. What’s the issue? On-screen data isn’t even useful because you have to ocr it. The app maker already has the data you’re typing in.

Elijen

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2012
I am surprised how article author fails to understand the basic concept behind this. It's NOT "recording user screen". It just sends a list of actions you made inside the app. The app only has access to the information you give it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.