Some problems with site

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by dolphindolphin, Feb 28, 2010.

1. dolphindolphin macrumors regular

Hi all,

I am knee deep in my first web development project and I have a few questions.

First off here is my website: www.hamletfoil.co.cc
    It isn't complete in terms of text, but most of the code is in place.
    The first problem I'm getting is that when I visit my site in safari for windows, I get white rectangular boxes on various parts of the page. I asked a friend to visit the site on his desktop using mozilla 3 and he got different white boxes. What's going on here?

Secondly, I might be an idiot, but on the top of www.hamletfoil.co.cc/index-1.html is an "s" and a white box spanning the entire page. I cannot find this in my code. What happened?

Thirdly, the "contact the webmaster" on the bottom of www.hamletfoil.co.cc/index-3.html is messed up, however, it utilizes the same code as the other pages. Why is this happening?

Here are some screenshots with the boxes:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Please give me any advice/criticism/questions/comments that come to mind.

Thanks guys

EDIT: Fixed the "s" problem.

2. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

Your code is not very standards compliant, and that will cause problems in browsers like Safari.

The majority of your problems can be solved by declaring a doctype. Try
    Code:
    <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
    (That needs to go on a line preceding the <html> start tag)

After that I recommend going to http://validator.w3.org/ to validate your code, and fixing the errors it lists.

I was able to solve the "white box" issues by doing this.

3. dolphindolphin thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you for this piece of info.